Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Laying It Down

I was cutting the crusts off the bread for my kid’s sandwiches when my friend Michael looked at me and said,

“That is so wasteful. Look at all the bread you have to throw away!”

Our families were away together at the beach and Michael and I had returned to the beach house to make lunches for everyone.

This was three months ago.

Since then, every single morning when I make school lunches, I remember this comment and seethe.

Day after day, I mutter my unspoken retort,

“It’s just as much of a waste if they throw their sandwiches away uneaten!”

I'll at least admit that it has occurred to me that I’m being ridiculously silly about it.

So when our families went to dinner together last night, I told Michael it had been bothering me.

“I’m so sorry,” he said. “I only meant that children in general are wasteful with their picky eating habits. I didn’t mean it as a personal judgment.”
“It probably says more about me than it does about you, Michael,” I told him, “that I’ve been hanging on to it all this time.”

Michael looked at his plate then back at me with a sheepish look.

“Well,” he said, “remember when we went camping?”
“Three years ago?!!”
“Yeah, well. You were surprised that our family didn’t shop at the Farmer’s Market and you said that every time you walked into a regular grocery store and saw ‘the endless aisles of cardboard boxes,’ you asked yourself ‘where is the food in here?’ ”

My husband laughed out loud recognizing the quote as something both of us have said. Many times.

“I’m sure I did say that,” I confessed.
“Well, I’ve been meaning to tell you something,” Michael said. “The food? ...is in the boxes.”

We stared each other down for thirty seconds and then burst out laughing.

17 comments:

Magpie said...

I've had to do that crust thing too.

1) They outgrow it.

2) Depending on what's on the sandwich, you can save the crusts and turn them into bread crumbs. Then, when you dredge the chicken breasts in bread crumbs, the kids EAT THE CRUSTS. I am the devil.

Jibberblog said...

At my house, the dog gets the crusts, so we don't throw it away. No waste :)

Katybeth said...

This was very funny! Maybe because it rang so true....

Thanks for the giggle.

Sayre said...

That. was. great! I laughed out loud!

meno said...

A perfect example of what i heard is not what you said.

Amanda said...

Hmm, I slather extra peanut butter or lay the cheese along the outer edges, trim the crust and eat those sandwich slivers myself. Yum.

WebSavvyMom said...

-->That is pretty funny.

(I'd toss the crusts outside for the birds. They need to eat too.)

~deb
www.websavvymom.com

Kyla said...

That's why I try to keep those little judgments to myself...you never know if you are accidentally hurting someone over something that doesn't really matter in the end.

iPhone Repair Brisbane said...

My dog ends up getting the crusts, however she has been putting on quite a lot of weight lately. The vet says that it is because of the crusts! So I will need to stop feeding her them.

WILLIAM said...

Do you cut the crusts off before or after making the sandwich?

My wife cuts the crust off before sme makes the sanswhich and throws it in a bag, She uses the bag of crusts when she takes the kids to go and feed ducks.

deborah said...

boy, we do LOVE to stew, don't we? this made me truly laugh out loud. :)

John Ross said...

Great post. I think I must have gotten distracted between 1st reading and now.

Once again you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. You're very good at that. We all have our own little crusades, agendas perhaps, that we push more than we may realize.

We tend to offend when we want those to be as important to others as they are to us - and they're often just not.

And that needs to be ok too.

thanks for reminding me.

Hannah said...

It's amazing how the little things we say can stick with people for so long. Thanks for the funny reminder!

KD Jewelry said...

:::raising hand::: Guilty. Of Crust removal.

Raz said...

My mum fought the crusts battle and won... but it was a battle. Mind you, some of my friends don't eat their crusts now. I'm 19!

Telling the truth seems to be the best option!

Rebecca said...

I cut up the crusts and use them to make croutons ;)

Shannon from mcblog said...

Too funny! And it explains everything - from marriage to society, doesn't it?