Monday, May 17, 2010

The Wild Bachelor

Flabbergasting K and I, my mother offered to keep the children for a week at my grandmother's home in Virginia last summer.

I was, of course, excited about the possibilities of a child-fee week, but I was equally excited about my children having the opportunity to spend a summer week in the small Virginia community where I spent so much time as a child.

The Mayor and I talked on the phone one night before bed and he told me all about his day.

"I met Charlie and Joey at the pool and we talked and talked. We talked about the things we have, what we like to do and where we like to go... it was so great, Mom."

Charlie and Joey are both cousins of his.

Everywhere we turn in this part of Virginia, relatives abound.

There is something tremendously comforting in having a sense of place like that, where everywhere you go, you are related to someone.

I drove back up to Virginia to collect The Mayor and The Rooster the next weekend.

While I was gone, I got a series of e-mails from K under the subject heading "wild bachelor."

----- Original Message -----
From: K
To: Jessica
Sent: Jul 11, 2009
Subject: wild bachelor

Yes, I’ve gone wild.

I will now regale you of my exploits:

  • Changed the HVAC Filters

  • Washed the new sheets

  • Took stuff to Goodwill

  • Bought laundry soap and toilet paper (24 rolls! – Wild!)

  • Got sunglass clip-ons at the Walmart

  • Sorted sock drawer

  • Watch out.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jessica
    Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:45 PM
    To: K
    Subject: Re: wild bachelor

    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

    -----Original Message-----
    From: K
    To: Jessica
    Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:53
    Subject: RE wild bachelor

    The romp continues...

    • Replaced the kitchen fluorescent light fixture -Which revealed just how disgusting our refrigerator had become. Ew. Cleaned out bottom drawers and underneath bottom drawers (yuck - red strawberry something or other pooled and streaked and sticky).
    • cleaned the top of the refrigerator (also remarkably gross).
    • cleared out back porch, sorting hangers and beach toys.

      I can't be stopped.

    My mom says she'll keep them again this summer.

    I live in unbearable suspense, wondering what my husband will get up to this year.

    11 comments:

    Joie said...

    I know you have your park ranger fetish but men who clean and organize make me hot!

    Introverster said...

    Awesomeness. Absolutely the kind of messages my husband sends. You can't stop them once they've "gone wild."

    Not Hannah said...

    I can't even imagine what I'd do if Will cleaned the refrigerator. I...just can't.

    BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

    I love it. This sounds like an e-mail exchange my husband and I would have. And you know, we are VERY COOL. ;)

    JoeinVegas said...

    Sounds like my wild and crazy days when my wife goes away. I could use some help moving stuff in the garage, if he is free for an afternoon.

    magimomsblog said...

    From the sound of it, this needs to become a new tradition in your family!

    ewe are here said...

    Should become an annual tradition.

    Seriously, it's amazing how much more I can get done around the house when there's no one else here.

    Amanda said...

    My favorite is "the" in front of WalMart!

    Cynthia said...

    just laughing at why you and K are the perfect match - dorky sense of humor convergence!

    not to mention, who doesn't love Grandma Seattle???? she is awesome!

    Kyla said...

    Wild, indeed.

    Edie Mindell said...

    Lol..... He sure is wild...wild into cleaning and organizing your home.:-) Your husband is a funny guy, and it shows on the way he writes you emails.:-) You are so blessed to have him and your kids.:-)