Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Known Terrain

I reached for his foot in the darkness of our bedroom the other night.

I felt its shape in my hand and traced the outer edge.

I touched the hollow behind his ankle remembering the time before the children and even before that.

I recalled the time when any inch of him left unexplored was intolerable, when time spent on any other activity made me mad with impatience.

A moment later, grateful for the trust and familiarity we have now, I reached up to his thigh and put my finger on the exact place where a childhood accident left a rough scar.

Even in the dark I know exactly where it is and just how it happened.

15 comments:

Miss M said...

Beautiful. Reminds me why I still believe in marriage.

flutter said...

beautiful

John Ross said...

This is good. This is very good.

Amanda said...

Sacred and beloved too.

Julie said...

Oh, this was lovely. Sigh. I have a similar map in my brain, a lot of it based on scent as well as topography.

Kari said...

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read in my life. Truly.

WILLIAM said...

Is the scar from when you stabbed him?

JoeinVegas said...

Sometimes that is enough.

TSM/30something said...

Even though it makes me cry...hard...because I'm in essence walking away from that feeling, I love that you get to hold on to it.

Miss reading you. Plan to remedy that.

Twisted Cinderella said...

I love the loving sense of security and warmth that comes from the familiarity of being with someone that you love, share a history and a life with and that knows the soul of you and loves you anyway.

Meg at Demanding Joy said...

What a great post. You made me think of my husband and smile. Thanks.

Kyla said...

I really liked this.

Kelly said...

Interesting, the shift from this insane, impatient desire to something equally as delicious, and way more comfortable.

Very beautiful.

Cold Spaghetti said...

Well, excuse me a sec... I gotta turn the A/C on in here... gettin' a bit toasty today.

R said...

beautiful post... I think I need to reconnect like this with hubs more often. thanks for the reminder.