Monday, August 03, 2009

Softly She Sang

"I am with you and we are together..."

She softly sang to herself as we drove along.

My mother and husband were in the front seat and I was sandwiched between The Mayor and The Rooster's car seats.

The Mayor begged for me to keep my right arm limp while he beat himself in the head with it and laughed.

[Oh, the proud.]

Out in the Pacific Northwest, visiting my mother, my brother-in-law's family and joined by Grandma New York, we made our way towards Fort Worden State Park on the Olympic Peninsula.

The Grandmas treated us all to a stay at an amazing house, The Retreat at Sycamore, seemingly designed for the sole purpose of drawing out your inner Zen Buddhist.

Every inch of the house and grounds made you want to sit quietly and simply contemplate.

[Too bad those of us in on the treat included four children under the age of seven who beat the house's giant gong incessantly, taking only intermittent breaks to divert yet still more water from the "personal cannonball pool" also known as the hot tub.]

Driving across the Hood Canal Bridge for a short excursion seemed like a welcome escape.

As we drove along, The Rooster held my hand in her soft, small one and sang.

"You and I are together, we are right here."

She gazed out the window singing this comforting little song to no one in particular other than herself.

"We will always be together, you and me, Roo and Mama."

She sighed happily. Just as I thought my heart would burst she added the song's finishing touches.

"We will always be together... forever... until you turn into a vampire."



22 comments:

Amy said...

That is absolutely hilarious! (Fang = creepy!)

Scientific Lutheran said...

That freaking rocks!

Whit said...

Buddhists and vampires. That's good company.

wyo said...

So lyrical! And adorable. :)

Avitable said...

Edward's got nothing on you.

bzybead said...

The roo. . . otheroo. good story telling. I was there with you feeling all the love until she added her gotcha sense of humor. xo

Kyla said...

Does she know it is too late? LOL.

WILLIAM said...

Count Jessica?

ToddlercraftsSusan said...

Oh..Your deep expression of this short poem sounds like a story in Twilight. I love to read it exactly. After being a vampire, don't drink human blood! :) Toddler Crafts Susan.

Above Average Joe said...

I was going to ask if you were letting her read Twilight but Susan stole my thunder.

UPrinting said...

Awww that's so sweet. Up until the vampire bit haha. But still, it must have been such a happy moment to just be together with the people who matter most in your life.

Heather, Queen of Shake Shake said...

Ha!

I'm going to make sure we plan our next GA Aquarium trip in the fall. So I can wear a turtleneck and feel safe from you. Just in case you turn into a vampire sooner than later.

Mom To A Preschooler said...

I was so touched until I read the vampire part! LOL! I bet she knows the Twilight series!

Emily N said...

She is precious. That got a huge LOL. Glad to have you back!

Woman with kids said...

She's too funny! Is she going to become a vampire too?

If it wasn't this... said...

You are over here in my neck of the woods eh?

That fang is totally vampire worthy... you should take a day trip out to Forks and see if you can catch up with some of your vampire relatives while you are this close.

Just sayin ...

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Wow! Where the heck did that come from?

Amanda said...

oh! I have a fang and it comes out in every moment that might qualify as a romantic scene in a movie at which time Sean says, "Aw, your lil fang is hung up on your lip like Dean's" (Dean was our beagle shepherd).

We're like unicorns, really.

Marjorie said...

Haha! Sweet turned hilarious is my favorite kind of child story...

Harriet said...

lol this made me smile. It was sentimental and funny, and just all around a good read. Thanks for posting! I want to share something with you and your readers while I'm here. It's called Chef's DIet. It was inspired by Dr. Sears’ Zone Diet that recommends the right percentage of carbs, protein, and fats: 40/30/30. Chefs Diet is even having a free food give-away for a month that you could win by entering the contest at http://www.myChefsDiet.com. Just something to make your life easier and to sing about ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful , insightful blog-Betty http://geothermalquestions.net

Anonymous said...

Yours is bigger than mine! :)