Sunday, March 29, 2009

What Were The French Thinking?

Left on his own this afternoon, my tired husband decided to employ a little horizontal parenting.

[A parenting technique nearly perfected here in The House of Joy.]

He reclined on The Mayor's bed and periodically injected, "Is that right?", "Oh!" or "Mmmm hmmmm," at just the right moments in the ongoing dialogue of the short and loud people populating the room (also known as the children.)

The Rooster invaded the bed with a stack of her brother's dinosaur encyclopedias and proceeded to "read" them to him.

Each of her readings went something like this:

"It was Christmas Eve!

There was a boy going home!

The dinosaur wanted to eat him!

The boy... THE END."

The Rooster slammed the book shut and then started the next surprisingly similar Christmas Eve /dinosaur / boy-going-home saga.

After finishing the first stack of books, she scrambled down for a fresh group.

"These dinosaur books are in French," she told her father as she climbed back up.

The Rooster read several of these in a completely made up language.

After babbling randomly at length, she sighed and turned to her Dad.

"I just don't know where this story is going," she said in an exasperated tone.

Then, raising her eyebrows knowingly, she added, "It's French."

----------------------

(The Rooster decided long hair was too tangly and asked for a short haircut -et voilà!)

35 comments:

mark said...

Adorable. Great picture too.

justjuli said...

Well, the French aren't known for their dinosaur-holiday literature....

And I love the short haircut!

Anonymous said...

I think that is a French haircut too!

Dory said...

Spittin' image of YOU.

Anonymous said...

When my sisters and I were little, we used to walk behind my mother in the grocery store, babbling in a highly inflected made-up language- because we wanted people to think we were FRENCH CANADIAN!- the most exotic thing we could think of in our little Northern town!

Patience said...

Merci!

Great French Haircut!

megachick said...

i don't understand the french, either. adorable haircut, though!

furiousBall said...

oh my goodness what a cutie pie. love that haircut

Magpie said...

Great haircut on your little frog.

Amy @ Milk Breath and Margaritas said...

A very French haircut indeed!! It looks perfect on her!

Kyla said...

She's a darling.

Scientific Lutheran said...

I did that when I was a kid, around 4 I decided that long hair was for babies, so the cut my hair short.

around 6 or 7 I decided that I wanted curly hair, so my mom took me to a salon where I shocked everyone there by sitting calmly and quietly for the whold 2 hour procedure.

liliannattel said...

When my kids were around that age, sometimes we played putting mom to sleep. I lay on the couch and they covered me with a blanket and sang to me. The only problem was that I was allowed about 2 minutes with my eyes closed, and then they'd yell "Good Morning!"

jess said...

That haircut looks SO adorable!! She looks so chic, so fashionable, so... French!

ms. changes pants while driving said...

pfffffttt!!! hahahahaaa!!

oh, ze french.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

too funny about the French..

Love the haircut.. I think it makes her look exactly like you

Liberal Banana said...

I am not just copying Sugarplum's Mom's comment when I say: OH MY GOODNESS does that child look EXACTLY like you. Your heads are even tilted similarly, if you compare that picture to your profile pic. Adorable!

Cyndi said...

What an imagination! Love the new haircut. She is such a cutie!

Stephanie said...

Darling haircut!

mythoughtsonthat said...

Oh my goodness! She looks so much like you! Are you both French?

Mimi said...

Sa coiffure, c'est tres jolie! Elle est mignonne, bien sur ;-)

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

She is so cute...love her new short do! :)

Amanda said...

Bliss.

The Scholastic Decoder said...

C'est tres chic, cette coiffure la. Quelle fille mignonne!

The Van Goat Ranch said...

So cute! I wish I could talk my Rachie into a shorter cut like that! Precious.

WhisperingWriter said...

She's so cute.

I took French in high school. I was confused 90% of the time.

JoeinVegas said...

She does look French. And cute.

Joie said...

Probably everyone else has said it but...


ooh, la, la!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Too cute!

I love the cut!!

SUEB0B said...

Zut alors! Those French!

Cutie patootie haircut!

Kari said...

That haircut is absolutely adorable!

foop said...

Amelie!

Funny videos said...

Sweet girl.I love girl.

Cynthia Samuels said...

Holy cow does she look like you! Wow!

Noelle said...

Brilliant!

I'm brand new to reading your blog but can already tell I'm going to love it!