Monday, March 02, 2009

We Should Watch The Taming of the Shrew Next

"The beast was mean and grumpy," Rooster said.
[We watched Beauty and The Beast on Friday night.]

"He was," I agreed. "How did he learn to be nice?"

"Belle taught him," The Mayor said.

I nodded in agreement and then, with a wistful look in my eye, said,
"That is just like the story of your father and I," I told them.
Their eyes widened.

"Before he met you he was a mean, hairy beast?" they asked, incredulous.

"Oh, YES!" I said.

K rolled his eyes.
"Was he really, really hairy?" Rooster wanted to know.

"Did he have big, pointy teeth?" The Mayor wondered.
My children took this bait and let the hook sink deeply into their tender cheeks.

They went to bed imagining their fair mother taming the beast that once was their dad.

The irony is, of course, that I was the one who was the beast.

K transformed me into a gentler, kinder person.

His influence is one that encourages me to constantly strive to be the best version of myself.

After we tucked the children in and kissed them goodnight, K leaned in and whispered in my ear,
"Payback is hell."
When I looked at him, he was grinning mischievously.

9 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Uh oh, is there a payback story about to come out?

mo.stoneskin said...

One day the kids will find out the truth.

Of course, if you still have an inner beast to call on then K may learn the hard way about payback ;)

Joie said...

Oh, I needed that laugh. My tight shoulders don't hurt as much now. Thanks!

Mrs. B. Roth said...

Your blog rocks. I was the beast, too. It's funny how history can be rewritten so easily.

Ruth Dynamite said...

You? A beast? Never.

Kim said...

Too cute!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Hmmmmmm - can't wait to hear about his sweet revenge.

JCK said...

Can't wait to hear about K's mischief.

Magpie said...

You all are a good pair.