Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wonder

The Rooster climbed into my lap as the lights dimmed and The Mayor rose up on his knees.

I wondered how they would respond, this was their first trip to the circus.

A woman in a blue sequined leotard sat swinging on a trapeze bar way up in the big top.

She swung higher and higher and then suddenly flipped and twisted, catching herself from falling by hooking her feet on the swing's ropes.

The Rooster, who loves to swing more than I can even begin to explain, was beside herself when she saw the sparkling performer dangling above.

She pointed in awe and her mouth formed a perfect "O".

I felt her chest expand.

She inhaled a great gulp of air and then held her breath, waiting, frozen still.

I looked over at The Mayor, still on his knees, his face upturned, filled with wonder.

I realized my face was covered in tears.

It's amazing how much your children's joy can stir you.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. And Grandchildren's too. Thanks for sharing. Grandma Seattle ;-)

movin' down the road said...

I love it when my kids are enamored by something like that.

liliannattel said...

That's beautiful

Katybeth said...

It's almost scary isn't it--when you feel it so completely?

My Life Thinking said...

I like everything about kids. I like to watch life process :)

WILLIAM said...

It is like being in awe of being in awe

Magpie said...

Oh the joys indeed.

Above Average Joe said...

I had the same experience with The Champ and his first Red Sox game.

Dysd Housewife said...

I am so glad I am not the only blubbering mom. :)

nutmeg said...

...and me.

Kim said...

beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Those are the moments that make it all worth while!