Thursday, February 19, 2009

Slow Burn

Things feel pretty weird.

Everyone I know seems at least a little stressed.

Every morning I read the paper and see new stories about layoffs and our economic free fall.

It doesn't help that that I know people who have lost their jobs.

I think about them waking up to another day searching for work, worrying.

It doesn't help that newspaper columnists wage an endless debate about why the stimulus package won't work.

It doesn't help when the critics emphasize how much debt will burden my children.

It doesn't help that it's winter time.

On so many mornings, the trees are stark black silhouettes against a grey sky and the wind's cold hand slaps me in the face.

It doesn't help that the approach of severe thunderstorms casts an eerie greenish-yellow glow across the sky making the town siren shriek and moan, insisting that all citizens huddle in their basements.

Surely the sky IS falling and the end is nigh!

Swimming (even when I don't feel like it), helps.

Concentrating on the job I have and doing the best I can on any given day, helps.

Being patient and present to my children, helps.

Peppermint tea helps.

Ah, but I see I've just drained my cup.

I'll go now and fill it up.

[At least half way.]

17 comments:

crazymumma said...

fudge crackle ice cream helps as well. I am so tired of this winter and all the voices of doom (inc my own!). I want rainbows! UNICORNS!

Karen said...

All of that is exactly why I no longer watch the network news. They are all so into getting the best story, the newest news story, the gloom and doom, death and pestulence that they keep the whole nation afraid and in a wintry dispair.

Yes, I understand that there is some truth in what they say, but the constant barrage of negativity keeps us all in such fear that we can't think. Snap out it, nation!

If we all were to think positive thoughts, we would all be stronger.

flutter said...

I kind of love you, you know?

mo.stoneskin said...

There are many things that can be used to alleviate the stress. I wouldn't have included peppermint tea among them but...

Biscuits
Coffee
Wine
Beer
Burgers

Let me know if you need any more stress-relieving ideas!

Theresa said...

Very poetic.

It snowed here again last night. If I was back on Long Island I would be going bonkers, but I'm warm and loved here and that's all I need.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I started exercising again last week and felt like that helped a bit. Haven't this week and I feel the stress creeping up again. Or, maybe that is the vat of coffee I'm drinking.

I think I've lived my life whispering that it's always darkest before the dawn. I hope things turn around for so many soon.

Patience said...

I hate that so many are losing their jobs. It means so much more than losing income. It means a loss of self-esteem, of self-worth.

This will pass, but not before so many people are hurt.

The Sour Kraut said...

Stressful, yes, but maybe this is what we need to recognize the hardships that most of us have never lived with before.

We need to keep our cups half full and trust that Obama is a very intelligent man and this recovery will take a long, long time.

John Ross said...

YUP, what you said...in your usual, unusualy fine manner of course. Bless yer heart.

the verification word is blerleaf. I kinda dig that.

Miss Grace said...

It's the little things that help.

Above Average Joe said...

Patience is correct.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Keeping grounded is hard right now. I think you are on to something...Beautiful.

Mandy said...

I'm a peppermint tea addict. I firmly believe it can cure all that ails.

liliannattel said...

Fear sells. But we don't have to buy. That's why I started surfing the web for good news once a week & post it on my blog on Fridays. It's also why I like reading Nature Blogs. It helps me appreciate the world we live in.

carrie said...

I'm trying to find something (ANYTHING) to help me not feel like I have been lately and just falling short of inhaling an entire bag of sugar...

But you give me hope. You and your "half-fullness." We all need a little bit of that right now.

Emily said...

Pitch Perfect.

Exactly.

Velma said...

Mmmm. Peppermint tea is my favorite comfort tea. It's a very good thing, even only half-full!