Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Don't Tell Anyone About The Alligators

"I have a secret," she said.
One of Rooster Girl's classmates stepped tentatively towards me after-school on the playground.
"You do?" I said. "What is it?"

"It's about alligators," she told me conspiratorially.

"What about alligators?" I asked.

She glanced furtively to her left, then to her right and stepped closer to me. Taking me into her confidence, she whispered,
"Alligators swim... in WATER."
I regarded her mop of curly, locks, her apple rose cheeks, her three year old innocence.

"They do," I said.

"I don't think it's a secret though," I added

"Why not?" she asked me.

"Well, most people know that alligators swim in water."

"Oh," she said in her smallest, saddest voice.

She wandered away with her gaze downcast and her enthusiasm dampened.

I hung my head.


13 comments:

fruitlady said...

*heart broken*

The Sour Kraut said...

'Oh, the Killjoy' is more like it. ; )

Magpie said...

I love that she wanted to tell you that.

Elisa said...

That's so cute. Girls like to be the keepers of secrets. And we can rarely keep them ;-)

Jen said...

and with that another small soul was crushed...I think I would have said the same thing and regretted it later.

Jen said...

Oh, the heart-stabbyness of it! I can't stand it!

Your word verification is insulting me. It says "inurbum". That's rather rude.

Avitable said...

You just made the next Aileen Wuornos.


:P

Mamma said...

Some people would probably prefer not to know that secret.

Such heart break...

flutter said...

jeeeeeeez Jess. what next, are you going to pants the toothfairy?

John Ross said...

Think of a really good secret you can tell her. Really. you'll feel all better. promise.

word veri was joyst (as in joy street)

Vodka Mom said...

bubble buster

Lora said...

I think we've all been there at one time or another. I find myself saying something like that, and in my head I'm thinking "shut up shut up!" yet my mouth keeps moving...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jess, the only thing to do is to let her in on a secret nobody else knows so that she can spread it to everyone. I know! You could tell her that hippopotamuses live in tree tops! --Aunt Nancy