Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lessons Lost

First, the parent reading the bedtime stories was the wrong parent.

To make matters worse, this parent intended to read the WRONG book.

To top things off, his sister got to choose a second book.

[And this too, was ever so wrong.]

A storm formed on The Mayor's brow and blew all the way down to his chin's peninsula.

The storm was progressive, gaining force as it travelled, until it erupted into a three-foot tall hurricane.

Gale force winds rotated on the storm's joints almost resembling the arms and legs of a young child who has lost control.

[Sigh.]

In the end, The Mayor, busy shattering window panes and tearing off roofing shingles, missed hearing bedtime stories altogether.

[He may not have heard us reading, but we certainly heard him.]

When I finished reading to The Rooster, I went to The Mayor's room.

He was awake, finally quiet, lying in his bed.

He looked at me accusingly with red rimmed eyes.

Can I climb in and give you a snuggle?" I asked.
He nodded.
"Sometimes I get really mad," I said.
He listened.

"Sometimes I get so mad I can't get myself together and that makes me even more angry. Does that ever happen to you?" I asked.
"The EXACT same thing happens to me," he said.
"In the end, I usually end up feeling angriest at myself," I told him.
"How come?" he asked.
"For not being able to control my anger."
He thought about what I said.

"It's different for me," he said. "I'm always angriest at you and Dad."

25 comments:

liliannattel said...

Healthy kid.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Well, there you have it.

movin' down the road said...

he's got things straight and open and honest, doesn't he?

tonight, at bedtime, my kids go to bed at 8. But they kept giggling and talking, which is fine....but then 9:30 rolled around...so i got loud and stern...the little one cried because I was angry...you know what I said? Not as good as what you said.

I said, "I'm not angry, I'm just really really upset."

That totally doesn't make sense. But she seemed to feel better and quieted down and gave me a smile.

Crazed Mom said...

He's gotcha there. Kid's too smart.

Mary said...

That's a good kid, right there.

Major Bedhead said...

Ouch. Sometimes it would be nice if they weren't so...well, honest. Sparing our feelings is not a child's strong suit, apparently.

WILLIAM said...

That made me chuckle.

Jennifer said...

Oh, my.
Right over his head.
And right into your heart.

Kellyology said...

Ha. Just wait until you get the "you never listen to me" after you've told him to go brush his teeth for the umpteenth time. It's equally awesome.

Kyla said...

Hahahaha! Honesty. I like that in a Mayor. ;)

Karen said...

too funny! but I bet the message did get in there.

JoeinVegas said...

Yes, you too are getting 'mini-mees'

Kristin said...

and now you know!

the little darlings...

ms. changes pants while driving said...

awesome. at least your lines of communications are open. so that's good, right?

Dysd Housewife said...

SNORT!! I gotta say, the kids got style.

Jan said...

Oh my goodness!!!

Fran Loosen said...

Monkey does this...essentially lays blame and it makes me wild. Of course, I am trying not to act on it, but OH THE BALLS that little guys has.

Boys. geesh.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I think I love that kid.

Vodka Mom said...

little kid tantrums. sigh. those were the days.......

Patois said...

That slays me!

CJP said...

I love reading how you help him work through his emotions. He is very lucky to have a mom (not to leave K out, he is an evolved guy...) who will help him sort this side of himself out. Although....it will be maybe 20 years before he's not mad at mom and dad.....

Anissa Mayhew said...

Bless his little honest heart.

Katybeth said...

Well said. Very well said!

Issas Crazy World said...

LOL. Well at least you tried. One day it will sink in.

Astrogirl426 said...

Truly awesome. What I would give, even at the ripe old age of 36, to be able to keep my anger directed at the people I'm angry at instead of putting it back on myself.

Great job, mom. I know it sucks to be told your kid is upset with you (Bunker Monkey tells me this every day), but the therapy bills should be quite small thanks to his healthy self-worth. Yours, I can't vouch for ;)