Monday, November 24, 2008

In The Family Sandwich

On Saturday morning, The Mayor woke up early.


[Like REALLY effing early.]

He opened his eyes, and yelled,

"MOOOMMMMMYYYY!!!!"

K went running to his room only to find that he was in need of exactly nothing.

He just wanted to inform the household that he was awake.

K tried to encourage him to go back to sleep until he heard The Rooster.

The Mayor had woken his sister.

[Oh, sin of sins! May the greatest punishment rain down upon you! Fie! Fie!]

There is a digital clock in the children's bedroom and a post-it note with the number 7 written on it in thick, black marker is stuck to it's face covering the minutes.

Only the number representing the hour is visible.

"You are not aloud to wake up before the number on the clock matches the number on the note. If you DO wake up before the number is a seven, you have to be AS QUIET AS A MICE until the number is a seven."

K and I have both delivered this speech a number of times.

[You can see how well it's working.]

On Sunday morning, again, REALLY early, K and I heard,

"MOOOMMMMMYYYY!!!"

This time it was The Rooster.

K marched sleepily to their room.

"It is NOT seven. It is NOT time to get up. You have two choices: play quietly or go back to sleep, but you may NOT wake up Mommy and Daddy until seven."

He came back to our bedroom and shut the door.

A while later I heard our bedroom door knob turning.

The Mayor and The Rooster crept in and crawled into our bed.

The Rooster stepped on my face to get between me and her father and The Mayor cuddled against my side on the edge of the bed.

"It's seven!" they whispered, triumphantly, giggling.

"We're a Family Sandwich!" Rooster said looking at all four of us in the one bed.

"Daddy and I are the bread," The Mayor observed.

"Yeah! And I'm the cheese and Mommy's the turkey," The Rooster finished.

The turkey?

Oh, tell me about it.

It's early in the morning and Mommy is, truly, most completely and utterly, useless.


13 comments:

QT said...

Oh yes. You are the turkey, alright...:)

Erin said...

Love the Post-it note idea. I am so going to steal that.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Not to dis you Erin but I'd like the Post-It note thing if it actually worked. Sounds like mornings in our house. And I've noticed that they wake up even earlier on the weekends - what's up with that???

Magpie said...

Having only one child, she's always in the middle. I guess she's a turkey!!!

Neil said...

If you are the turkey, you better be careful on thursday.

Niki said...

We have the same problem! Definitely going to steal the post-it idea! My two Ethans always wake up earlier on weekends and grumble about the early starts throughout the week. The younger Ethan was up at 4:30 on Sunday (I bet you heard my "whaaa" from there!)

Mary G said...

Lovely! At least with the two of them in there with you, you weren't cold turkey.

DysdHousewife said...

Ha!! You ARE the turkey! LOL And may I just say that I have had my face stepped on by numerous children, numerous times. In bed even. So I feel your pain. :)

Little Nut Tree said...

this is our house, our rules - our life actually... are you me?!

Funny post - am stealing the post-it note idea though!

Virtualsprite said...

I'm laughing so hard right now... very much needed on a Monday. Thank you!

Vodka Mom said...

LMAO! The turkey? THE TURKEY??? haha. that was classic.

Angella said...

We do the EXACT SAME THING with the Post-It note and he clock.

If only it worked...

Mommy Doodles said...

its my first visit here - skimmed your current post, think ahhh "religious blog" (nothing against them, just was not looking for one). i got distracted and came back - clicked on the park ranger hat and have been hooked for about an hour now... love reading about the "family sandwich" your "dryness" post "cupcake" lesson and many others... needless to say this baby on my chest is not fully asleep because i keep bouncing him around laughing too much! thanks!