Wednesday, November 12, 2008

If They're Like Dogs Then It Just Follows That...

The other day at the playground, The Mayor and several other boys from his pre-school class drifted away from the playground and onto the baseball field.

I was standing on the far side of the playground with a man whose name is curiously "Cole's Dad".

The boys were pretty far away from us, but we could still see what they were doing... which was fighting.

They appeared to be ramming each other in the stomachs like four-year-old, big horned sheep.

Their sole purpose seemed to be to knock each other down.

From our vantage point, it appeared somewhat violent.

On several occasions Cole's Dad and K took steps towards the field intending to intervene but then stopped themselves.

The boys seemed completely happy. There were no tears.

In fact, whenever one of them was knocked down, the fallen one rose up to pursue enthusiastic vengeance.

“Boys will be boys,” Cole’s father shrugged.


“I guess,” I marveled.


“We used to play like that,” he said. “Boys are like dogs. We
connect with each other through physical fights.”


He looked wistful remembering his boyhood.


“It was always fun until blood was drawn.”


I glanced nervously over at the field.


“Once there was blood we’d have to figure out something else to do,” he said.


"What? Like humping each other's legs?"


[And after saying this to Cole's Dad, whom I hardly know, I buried my head and my big, fat mouth in sand.]

22 comments:

grefuture said...

I do enjoy reading your blogs...humping each other's legs....LOL. But, if you look at it, from little boys come the reason for the majority of the wars in this planet's history...who can be the bigger bad ass.

QT said...

I just KNEW you'd be the one to go there....:)

flutter said...

oh leave it to you...lol

Trannyhead said...

It's so hawt that you said that. I wholeheartedly approve.

Karen said...

Little boys learn very early to act stupid, and they seem to continue until they are way past their 80's. FabGrandpa still likes to play "pull my finger" and other dumbass games like that. Boys will be boys until they die.

devilish southern belle said...

I wish I could come up with witty things to say to people in those situations!

Your story reminds me of my oldest son's tee ball scuffle with a teammate on the field. I was amused and horrified all at once!

Tricia said...

Perfect. I've had a couple of those moments as well.

WILLIAM said...

Classic

Patience said...

Hyuck!

They're both probably thinking, "How'd she know?!?"

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Why does that not surprise me???
xoxoxoxox

Joie said...

That, in fact, was a great response.

(In)Sanity Gal said...

hahahaha! love it! it was probably a good story for him to tell later.

T. said...

You didn't....

Amy @ Milk Breath and Margaritas said...

No facking way! You said that?

I *heart* you. That is way funny.

King Isepik said...

LOL! You just made my frakking day! I don't laugh out loud much at work , but this one took me by surprise. I bow to your wit! :)

*golfclap*

Christina said...

Funniest thing I've read today. I love that you SAID it!!!

Laura said...

OK - that has made my day! Thank you!

Maggie said...

I've unfortunately seen this happen. But it was just my son and the coffee table leg because he saw my SIL's dog doing it to someone's leg. Yeah. Boys.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Yeah, dogs don't hump each others legs. Just so you know, for the next time your son tries that game. But I'm pretty sure boys are nothing like dogs. Monkeys, maybe. So beware of flying feces.

therextras said...

Well, males do make for good blog conversation, eh?
Barbara

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I wish I could've seen that dad's face! Great line.

Penny said...

ROFLMFAO!!! Omgosh.. Oee is asking if I'm alright from upstairs.. lol! Too good. Way. Too. Good. LOL!