Monday, November 03, 2008

Fearless

The plush head of the horse sat cradled in the crook of her elbow.


In her free hand, a pink plastic pumpkin bucket swayed back and forth.

Her pink cowgirl boots were a size too big and the horse's dangling legs routinely got tangled up in hers.

Concentrating on keeping her balance, she carefully picked her way up the buckled concrete steps.

The lights were on in the house and we could see shelves and shelves full of books inside, but no one appeared to be home.

There were three stuffed zombies sitting on a wicker couch on the far corner of the porch where she stood.

The zombies appeared to be made from straw and pillow stuffing, like scarecrows, but they had frightening masks for heads.

The Rooster rang the doorbell and waited.

No one came.

Then, ever so slowly, one of the zombies started to move.

The Rooster had reached the porch first and stood there alone.  The Mayor and our friend's children were behind her, still on the stairs.

The zombie leaned forward towards The Rooster.

He beckoned her with a rubber clawed hand.

She took a step in his direction and he leaned forward even further.

The zombie seemed to be reaching for a huge bowl of candy at his feet.

Cautiously, The Rooster walked towards the zombie.  

When she reached the monster, she looked him right in the eyes, smiled a gigantic smile and shouted,

"TRICK OR TREAT!"

She was fearless.



29 comments:

Patience said...

What a great costume!! And I'm sure it gave her the courage to tackle any zombie the came her way!

Childsplayx2 said...

Every year I want to do the zombie on the front porch thing, but my wife worries I'll scare the bejeezus out of some unsuspecting little kid.

I tell her, "Exactly."

She still won't let me.

But maybe if I show her your fearless little one, she'll relent!

(Or not)

JoeinVegas said...

Boy, she sure has mom's smile.

Vodka Mom said...

Not only was that an incredible story, I now have a new superhero. Rooster-girl.

ImpostorMom said...

That is awesome!! That would have scared the bejessus out of me. Way to go Rooster!

Anonymous said...

Pink Cowboy boots are MAGIC.!!!!!

(In)Sanity Gal said...

Oh boy - what a cutie!

Little Monkies said...

just like her mama...

Holly said...

She is so dang CUTE. I love the boots, and the gigantic grin.

Catizhere said...

Maggie had the same boots!!
She wore the heel off, she loved them so.

The Rooster looked a-DOR-able!!
What was the Mayor??

WILLIAM said...

Adorable...and fearless.

Mimi said...

She's like a wee tiny you, Jess :-0

Vodka Mom said...

She reminds me of Sheila Rae-The Brave- by kevin Henkes. Have you read it? GREAT book.

jenn said...

She is so cute !
We have a talking skeleton that sits on our porch and when some one comes close my daughter (9) talks in to the mic or play music so it's mouth moves. Gets em every year.

Patois said...

Cock-a-doodle you, Rooster. Not a chicken by any means.

Rockzee said...

Adorable!

I have a little gift for you on my blog.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

You go Roo!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Now THAT'S a cowgirl!!!

Karen said...

yep, I agree, pink cowgirl boots are magic. they give you courage to do anything!

Omaha Mama said...

What a cute cowgirl. She and my little man would've made quite the pair!

Amanda said...

Atta girl.

Stimey said...

Way to be, Rooster! She looks adorable. I'd wear boots like that.

Above Average Joe said...

Adorable.

But maybe its time for that whole "taking candy from a zombie"
talk.

bejewell said...

SUCH a great costume!

flutter said...

takes after her mama.

Laura said...

fearless and cute! Love the boot! She looked adorable!

Bianka said...

Jeesh, the story alone scared me!

BookMamma said...

Take THAT Zombie fiend!!

The Rooster is my hero.

grefuture said...

I wanted to let you know that reading this little post reminded me of my now 6 year old's fear of going up to ask for candy, for, say, the first 3 times he went trick or treating. Sigh...he was frozen in fear for ages...when he finally got over it (Halloween 2007), I sighed deeply, saying "ok, perhaps he will move out one day." I like your wit on other blogs as well, giving insight on what's life like as a parent of 3. Definitely an enjoyable read.

G. Eric Francis
thefuturesdomain.blogspot.com