Monday, October 27, 2008

Brothers Look Weird

When we were little, my brother was always dressing up.


If you met him as an adult, you might find this hard to imagine. These days my brother most often wears a tough shell, but in the 1970's... he had hats.

He had a policeman's hat and a fireman's hat and was routinely "rescuing" someone or otherwise saving the day.

Lacking the proper costume was never an issue for him, he was good at improvising.

I remember coming home once to find him wrapped in a bed sheet that was belted around his waist.  On his head he wore a pillow case turban and he brandished a sword with a remarkable resemblance to a wrapping paper tube.

When my mother asked what he was doing, he shouted,

"I am El KaBar!"

He had been watching a some sort of Nights of Arabia movie and was inspired to transform himself into a Middle-Eastern warrior.

I remembered all this about my brother on Sunday morning when, in a fit of last minute birthday present desperation, I was left with no choice but to brave a trip to the local Whale*Mart.

I asked The Mayor to get dressed and the next thing I knew there was a four year old fireman riding backwards on the front end of my shopping cart as I careened up and down the aisles of the Super Center.

["Super" being decidedly subjective in this case.]

It was my job to shout,  "Woooo  Ooooo Wooooo Oooooo Wooooo!" approximating the siren sound for our hook and ladder truck (formerly known as the cart).

[The things parenthood makes us do in public!]

Later in the day, The Mayor reminded me of my brother again.

Having received a toy eye patch in his crap-tastic-plastic-filled, birthday party goodie bag, The Mayor decided to dress up like a pirate.

I think it was the navy, corduroy blazer with elbow patches, the fireman boots and the baseball bat sword that really made the outfit for me.

The Mayor stood in front of the mirror practicing various pirate faces and generally admiring his costume design skills when The Rooster approached.

She planted herself in front of him and gave him a full, head-to-toe appraisal.

Then she looked him in the eye and said without regret,

"You look weird."

I wonder if my brother will read this blog today.  If he does, he'll be reminded of me.


Pirate Mayor, October 26, 2008

25 comments:

Ravedogg said...

Ha ha ha! Oh, the things we only children miss out on! btw: fabulous belt.

verygoodyear said...

That's an amazing costume! I totally love the pirate-esque sneer on his face and the clenched fist -- I imagine his hand as a hook!

Patois said...

How quickly those kids can bring us back. You've inspired me to tell a similar story: I was so reminded of my dad today when I saw how my youngest was dressed. All I lack is a picture. Your picture of Pirate Mayor, though? Priceless.

Vodka Mom said...

that is the best Goddamn costume I have ever seen. Except for the year my mother put my brother in a hand sewn bunny costume, and he chose to wear the Frankenstein mask with it. She was gracious enough to applaud him. sigh. those were the days.
great post.

Assertagirl said...

My brother was Hallowe'en CRAZY when we were kids. He would go out trick or treating and come home, devise some new costume, and head out for round two. This post reminded me of him!

-The Shiny Happy Mama- said...

Oh my goodness!!! You can tell that, in his mind, he is not only dressed as a pirate, but is, in fact, a pirate! Adorable :)

Patience said...

Loooove the boots!!

WILLIAM said...

Arrrghh.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oooh that is too cute!

Princess Belle loves to dress up and I am always grabbing the camera to capture her funny little outfits.

Denguy said...

The boots really make the outfit!

(I think we have the same brother--except mine's Canadian.)

furiousBall said...

you know, if i was a merchant sailing the seas and a vessel full of those guys pulled up and tried to board my ship, i'd be very confused.

Karen said...

What a hoot, he looks so seriously pirate!

Lisa said...

I'll see your navy blazer and raise you a Paddington the Bear rain coat:
http://bookslistslife.blogspot.com/2008/09/argh.html

Merrily Down the Stream said...

You go Mr. Mayor!

Anonymous said...

Remember the hall tree full of hats that was in your brother's bedroom. Pirate hats, fireman hats, police man hats, cowboy hats, baseball hats, football helmets, daniel boone hats - I can't even remember them all - but they were SO important to him ;-). The Mayor made me laugh out loud! Love, Grandma Seattle

Anonymous said...

Grandma Seattle again, forgot to add that after her fashion review of my outfit and now her brother's I am convinced Rooster was born with my same fashionista gene. Love that girl. That was my second laugh this AM.

Magpie said...

Yeah, the "sword" rocks.

R said...

great pic! Mayor makes a fantastic pirate ;)

Ben and Bennie said...

Love the sash! The dude rocks the pirate world! Mover over Depp - The Mayor's comin'!

Anonymous said...

Haha I love the costume, he makes an awesome pirate! Its funny, ever since my hubby bought me a pair of gorgeous diamond earrings from www.idonowidont.com that my son helped him pick out for my birthday, I decided to throw my son a halloween party this friday. He wants be a pirate too!

motherbumper said...

I love the sash but the sword totally makes it (and the patch and head wrap). My brother and I totally loved dressing up for Hallowe'en and play time, dang being a kid is cool

QT said...

That head wrap is hysterical.

I would like to politely request that in the future, recent photos of your brother be included in any post about him, not old links, dammit!

Woman Undone said...

you couldn't pay for a better picture. Now just save this for when he won't behave and threaten to show it to his girlfriend/fiance. OH OH OH, orrrrr, threaten to put it into the school yearbook if he doesn't get straight A's!!!

Above Average Joe said...

At least he can't poke anyone's eye out with the bat.

Miss Grace said...

My brother spent a lot of time looking weird on account of being dressed as a girl. By me.