Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Surface and Dive

Last weekend was the final hurrah for our local outdoor pool.

At one point, I stood at the shallow end mesmerized by the site of The Rooster straddling her father’s back in the deep end.

K dove and surfaced like a dolphin while Rooster clung to him, her arms wrapped around his neck and her legs around his waist.

Suddenly, I was transported back in time riding my own magical sea dragon.

My childhood pool materialized before my eyes and I could see the diving board, the lifeguard stand and the kids playing Marco Polo in the shallow end.

I became myself as a little girl hanging on to my own father’s back.

I was not yet capable or confident enough to swim in the deep end on my own, but on my father’s back I felt safe.

At the time, I knew for certain that my father was invincible, infallible, indomitable.

He was my hero.

On his back, I didn’t have to be afraid. I could simply enjoy the thrill of the water and the adventure of its depth.

Shifting back to the present, I watched The Rooster experience her father the same way and smiled.

14 comments:

Mahala said...

Safety wasn't something I was lucky enough to experience in my father's company. I'm always envious of anyone who can.

Hug that man today. He sounds like one of the good ones. :)

Lisa Milton said...

I'm pretty sure some of my water phobia started with some earnest shoving in the deep end by family members.

I like this approach so much more.

;)

I was sad when our pool closed its doors Monday. It's just never enough for my two dolphins...

Circus Kelli said...

That's awesome. Really.

Patience said...

A wonderful feeling!! For both of you!!

Mimi aka pz5wjj said...

Oh very sweet!

It's funny how many different ways we relive our childhood through our children...

Emily said...

I get very nostalgic watching my husband play with our kids. I am beginning to be convinced that it really, absolutely is the little things. (Which is good, since I am forever preaching that sermon to my girls.)

Happy anniversary, btw.

mamatulip said...

I'm smiling too.

Vodka Mom said...

awww. that was sweet.

i remember when I was seven and I thought I was cool and did a BELLY FLOP off the HIGH dive. no shit. Hurt like HELL, and completely ruined my chances of snagging glances from the 8 year old neighbor boy i was trying to impress. also had a red stomach for a month. practically.

flutter said...

*happy sigh*

Grim Reality Girl said...

Thank you!!! This post brought back wonderful memories of my kids and I at the pool when they were OH so little! I somehow was the sea monster / dolphin to both of them at the same time.... what a work out but what fun! Glad K is so fun... glad you had such a fun dad too! Life is good!

Crazed Mom said...

Love the imagery and the writing.

WILLIAM said...

Nice memory

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Don't you just love watching moments like that unfold?

Backpacking Dad said...

This is why I wanted to become a dad.