Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Love You From Right Here

This morning at the breakfast table, The Rooster was inventing games to play with her sliced strawberries and buttered toast.


Normally, this would irritate me as it flies in the face of the timeline we employ to execute the House of Joy's morning routine with signature efficiency.

But today, feeling  a fondness for the whole essence of my daughter, I relaxed.

"I love you, my sweet Roo," I said.

She glanced over at me, grinned and said,

"Nanny nanny boo boo. You-oo can't catch me."

"I don't need to catch you," I said.  "I can love you from over here."

She gave me a blank stare.

"I can love you from the living room or the kitchen."

Still she stared at me.

"I can love you when I'm at work or away on a trip."

"I love you from right here," I said patting my heart.

She stared at me for a few more seconds.

"Nanny nanny boo boo, " she said. "You can't catch me."

The little minx.

17 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

LOL too cute!

verygoodyear said...

Funny ;) She wasn't playing along with your silly mommy games!

WILLIAM said...

Now that sounds like a childrens book.

zellmer said...

I love their little one track minds.

Erin said...

I was just about to say that you could write a children's book, but I see someone else also commented that!

flutter said...

nanny nanny boo boo cracked me right up

Janet said...

Now that's unconditional love.

mamatulip said...

Awwww...this reads like a Robert Munsch book.

Mimi aka pz5wjj said...

Aw... Very cute!

apathy lounge said...

She's got you on HER timeline now, sister. So funny!

trace cell phone numbers said...

My daughter is older but we still have these moments. Usually it is when I slow down and love life at her pace so I make an effort to do that often.

Alex Forster said...

It's always good to make sure they know. Even if they respond with a neener neener or two!

Little Monkies said...

Girlfriend has OBVIOUSLY read Runaway Bunny with the special readers guide that gives the special anti-mommydote of "nanny nanny boo booo". Minx!

Patois said...

Well, did you catch that little girl? I'll wager that you did. And that you always will.

JCK said...

Those little minxes...

Gray Matter said...

You are the best. mom. ever.
These are the posts your kids are going to look back on and smile.

Beck said...

I think the mean thing about motherhood is that our love is meant to be outgrown, to be left behind. Someday. A long time from now.