Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Adults Are Boring


Last night The House of Joy went out to dinner with my husband’s ex-girlfriend Emily’s friend Linda and her man Tim.

[Did you get all that? Things move pret-ty fast on this-a here blog so keep up.]

We went to a reasonably nice restaurant, the kind that usually qualifies The Family Joy to wear giant signs that say:

“Oh, HAI!  We’re THAT family.”

But last night?  

The Mayor and The Rooster sat quietly and ate their food.

They were well behaved, decent children the likes of which one only witnesses in films from the 1940's.

Shockingly, K and I were able to have a long and delightful, adult conversation with Linda and Tim.

We were happily talkingtalkingtalking, grown-up talking when The Mayor finally said,  

“Excuse me, Mama.” 

[Oh, the BEAMING mother!!]

“Yes, Mayor?” I said.

He beckoned for me to lean in closer.

He whispered in my ear,

“Are you grown ups making speeches?”

The Mayor was making reference to his book “Are You Going To Be Good” by Cari Best in which Robert, the main character, goes to his first grown up, night time party only to be disillusioned by the incessant and boring talkingtalkingtalking done by the grown ups. 

"Is that all there is?" asks Robert.

He’s ready to go home until someone says, 

“It’s time to dance!”

[And then all hell breaks loose, man.]

“Grown ups are boring, huh?” I whispered back to The Mayor.

He grinned in appreciation and nodded vigorously.

If only there was dancing...

14 comments:

zellmer said...

Isn't it awesome when the kids are good in public for everyone to see? We are sending ours to Grandma's house this weekend so we can PARTY! Is that wrong? I'm pretty sure there will be dancing.

Vodka Mom said...

Kids DO step it up when you least expect it. Sounds like a lovely dinner, and your son was SPOT ON. That's why I spend my day with 5 and 6 year olds. Much More Fun.

Omaha Mama said...

Where were you? What kind of food? My goodness, share the goods! How does this happen??? Children eating and sitting, at the same time??!

Jennifer said...

When I was young (though older than The Mayor and Rooster), I used to sit on the floor by my just-cracked-open bedroom door and listen to my parents and their friends talk and laugh during their dinner parties. I couldn't clearly hear what they were saying but I just loved hearing them sound so happy and fun.

I don't remember dancing at those gatherings though...

Emily N said...

Yay!!! I TOLD Linda you might blog about it!!

I am just happy to periodically provide you with material for your blog.

(I hope that your readers are trying to picture themselves having dinner with their husband's college girlfriend's friend. I mean, THAT is some connection.)

Patois said...

You must win some kind of award, lady, as my kids aren't ready for this and they're in their late teens. (Not really, but they will be sooner or later.)

furiousBall said...

i loved those dinner parties too as a child. seeing my parents act silly and all that affection and attention lavished on me as a kid was good and i think if those parties are healthy they build a foundation for healthy social interaction with other kiddos too.

Laski Gal said...

Sometimes I miss the days when I wasn't one of them . . .

Mama Goose said...

Oh! The proud!

Kristine said...

My dream is to someday be sitting at a restaurant with my children, and have someone come up to me and tell me just how delightful and well behaved my children are.

Ahhh...to dream

Anissa Mayhew said...

He hit it spot on, because we are so boring that we write blogs about how much we talk. Life becomes on great big speech!

And then? We dance.

Day Dreamer said...

I would just be soooo happy if they behaved that well!!!

Yeah you!!!

BOSSY said...

That first sentence should read, "Bossy's roommate Joy's husband's ex-girlfriend Emily's friend Linda."

Who needs a morning cocktail?

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Wow.. good for the children Joy... so far we've had one perfect dining out experience with Sugarplum... I'm pretty sure she thinks grown-ups are pretty boring too.