Sunday, August 31, 2008

New Favorite People

Every year, 30,000 sci-fi fans come to my town and parade down the main street dressed as their favorite fantasy world characters.

In years past, without realizing what weekend it was, I have found myself downtown after dark surrounded by characters from Star Wars, Star Trek, Japanese anime, various video games, comic books and vampire series.

This year, we purposefully met up with friends and took the train downtown to check out the role players on parade.








There were steam punks, super heroes, Hobbits, Pirates of the Caribbean, Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sesame Street characters, Hogwarts students, Klingons, and people of the Middle Earth.




As the surge of Star Wars characters marched towards us, my friend Molly's husband Russ leaned over and said,

"I'm hoping to see a some Princess Leia action."

[Does every guy have the Princess Leia fetish?]

Russ didn't get his Leia wish, but he did get to see Wonder Woman.



[I'm thinking he did alright because she's totally WORKING that lasso of truth.]

Standing on the sidelines with my husband and my children, I was approached by a man dressed like this:



[Seriously. He looked like that.]

Anyway, this monster dude with the multi-colored face came up and started hitting on me.

You know, did I want to join him for the rest of the parade, share his hotel room and... whatnot.

[Picture the look of stunned surprise on my face.]

Then he told me that he was on the verge of evolving and would soon posses a forked, prehensile tongue.

Forked. Prehensile. Tongue.

"A tongue like a thumb," he said. Think about THAT!"

He winked and marched away with his fellow paraders before I could respond.

Poor monster, wasting his energy on the wrong girl.

How could he possibly know
there's only one costume that works for me.

22 comments:

Patience said...

Hey! That was me!! In my WonderWoman costume!!! Meeeeeeee!!

(Yeah. In my husband's fantasy.)

Jenifer said...

The Storm Troopers are awesome! You live in a cool town.

Omaha Mama said...

Were your kids on this adventure? Did the green guy freak them the freak out?
I wish your man would've worn his ranger uni down to the parade. And that you had a picture of it to share!

Jill said...

That multi-colored-face guy looks familiar... Dude! I think I dated him in college. But then he only had two colors on his face and was only Seal-pocky, not Brian Adams-pocky.

JCK said...

Okay...that beats the wierdos that CLING ON to me at the grocery store. I was a little scared by that picture and the forked tongue sent me over the edge...

mo.stoneskin said...

If only we had those kind of parades over here in the UK, I'd love to go down and watch the weirdos...

furiousBall said...

that wonder woman can put me in her lasso anytime

Veronica MItchell said...

Maybe next time monster guy will show up in Ranger uniform. Then you'll feel so conflicted.

zellmer said...

What a fun parade of random weirdness. At least until the forked tongue episode. Creepy.

deb said...

A tongue like a fork sounds interesting though:)

Laura said...

holy crow that looks like fun - my hubby would love it...especially the Wonder Woman!!!!

Anissa Mayhew said...

The 501st stormtroopers came out the day of my daughter's fundraiser and can I just tell you that they were surrounded by just as many 35 y.o. dads as they were 10 y.o. boys?

Virtualsprite said...

OMG... I'm laughing really hard. Back in my previous life, I went to GenCon and I seriously felt out of place. More than 2,000 geeks and I was one of four that weren't in some sort of costume.

I got hit on, too... for some reason, these people don't get a lot of action. Surprised?

BOSSY said...

Bossy's first boyfriend used to refer to Wonder Woman as "Wonder Bosom."

And in that arena, Bossy was and is definitely lacking.

Vodka Mom said...

just what I needed to hear after heading to kindergarten. a tongue like a thumb.

JoeinVegas said...

But, a forked prehensile toungue? I wonder what color it was going to be.

Emily said...

I didn't know you went the DNC.

Awesome.

**Clearly, I'm only teasing. I do not think attendees of the DNC are mutated beings from another planet, nor do I believe them to be developing prehensile tongues or hitting on FINE bloggers along a parade route. Though, that Lasso of Truth could come in handy in an election year. You know what I'm sayin?**

Circus Kelli said...

It would be at that point that I turn to my husband and say "Why do *I* always get hit on by the weirdos?"

WILLIAM said...

You didn't mention the Mighty Wind that comes from middle earth?

Maureen said...

Hah! Yes, EVERY man has that Princess Leia fetish (at least those in our age group).

Wierd that Star Wars is playing on the TV right now...

Damselfly said...

No park rangers?!

Cool steam punks!

Denguy said...

I was never into Princess Leia, give me Wonder Woman any day! Lynda Carter rocked that outfit.