Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A is for Alpha

While we were away at our family reunion, The Mayor spent a lot of time playing with his cousin Sean.

Sean is two years older than The Mayor, however my son had no trouble bossing him around.

One day The Mayor and Sean were pretending the bed was a big boat.

"I'm the boss of this boat!" The Mayor proclaimed.

Apparently, Sean has bossy friends at home and is used to politely editing their directives during imaginative play.
"Well," Sean said, "how about if there are two bosses of this boat and I'm one of them and you are the other one?"

The Mayor considered this.

"Okay," he said, "but I am the boss of the bosses."

Classic.

Similarly, it was raining on when I dropped The Mayor off for his third day of Pre-K.

He and The Rooster were wearing their firefighter rain coats.
"Are these your fellow firefighters?" his new pre-school teacher asked referring to Rooster and I.

"No!" The Mayor said. "Mommy and Rooster are the firefighters. I am the fire CHIEF."

"Well," said the pre-school teacher, "that's great and it completely fits your personality."

I looked at her and smiled.

"You nailed his personality in only two days?"

She shrugged.

It's that obvious.

Well then.


I think I'll just pat myself on the pack for passing on the bossy gene so effectively!

Go me.

27 comments:

Circus Kelli said...

Congrats! You must be so proud. ;)

Sweet Pea's kindergarten teacher told me Sweet Pea had a "great spirit".

I believe that is teacher-speak for "Woman, your child has ADD."

furiousBall said...

one day, when he has a blog, i bet he'll let you be a contributor, but not an admin

Mandy said...

It takes all types. My son, he be the O for Omega... isn't that the one who's at the bottom of the totem pole? Too many mixed metaphors here... not enough coffee.

Funny post!

Kyla said...

Ha! BubTar is usually the one being bossed...but at home he tries to be the boss of KayTar...it is usually ineffective, though.

WaltzInExile said...

Well, if you're the source of the bossy gene, my husband has some explaining to do, because the Mayor sounds a lot like our Goat #2... LOL

Vodka Mom said...

I prefer to call those kids in my class "SPicy." And, between you and me, they're the ones I like the best!!

maybe because I was spicy myself.

thatgirlblogs (shelly) said...

ha-ha, a "spirited" child just like... ALL of mine??!!

kristen said...

my kid is SO bossy, i would love to put our two kids in a room and watch.

Redneck Mommy said...

Heh. The bossy gene was the one gene I hoped my daughter wouldn't get from me. I was aiming for my green eyes and sweet disposition. (Stop laughing J.)

Alas, she has blue eyes, snarls regularly and is the boss of everyone.

Well. At least she got something from me. Sigh.

Domestic Extraordinaire said...

The pride you must be feeling right now! Well at least you know he isn't going to be pushed around.

Avitable said...

It's the Alpha gene. I got it from my mom, too.

Liberal Banana said...

I don't have kids so this is completely foreign to me. Do you just let them be bossy or do you try to teach them to be more compromising? Or is it not a problem as long as there's no physical bossiness going on (hitting, kicking to get their own way)?

Geologychick said...

I just call Shayna, Alpha... it's easier!

CamiKaos said...

my daughter only cares about being the boss if someone tries to boss her around... she's really live and let live... UNTIL you mess with her.

Abbynormal said...

That is classic. I love it. I was always the beaten down friend.

Beck said...

The Baby is very.. um... spirited in making sure that she gets her voice heard. She has this distinctive, shocking bellow, and it's rather startling coming from such a tiny mite. And yet her older siblings are so gentle and easy to get along with! So she and The Rooster might get along splendidly... or they might NOT.

Beck said...

Or I should say The Mayor. Although he'd get along just fine with The Boy, who is a cheerfully complacent sort of guy.

Anissa Mayhew said...

My 4 y.o. had a You're-not-the-boss-of-me moment at dinner. She said "I is the boss of me, only I can boss me around and you can boss THEM!"---pointing to brother and sister. When I explained that the BOSS pays the bill, so she could feel free to cough up some cash, she quickly amended that to "well, you can be the boss of me when you pay". I think that says it all about my mothering skills.

Magpie said...

Oh the bossy.

Better that than a shrinking violet though, right?

Missives From Suburbia said...

He's not bossy. He's a born leader, that's all.

apathy lounge said...

Well...at least they figured him out! Your Mayor stories always make me laugh.

WILLIAM said...

The Mayor, the boss of Bosses, Don Mayor.

GoteeMan said...

completely loving it...

My youngest has already mastered that trait as well....

J/

Laura said...

Hey...someone has to lead and take control...good job!

MamaMaven said...

I had the preschool teacher tell me that it was good to have a child who could run things if she were absent and my daughter was it. I guess the transference of the bossy gene shows up early!

Trotsky said...

I hope none of them get the "hussy" gene.
(I'll be ducking now..)

Patience said...

Are we related?!