Monday, August 11, 2008

And We're Back

After a hellish experience with Airtran Airlines, The Family Joy has mercifully escaped what seemed like certain death-by-airline and returned from 12 days in New York.

We arrived, thanks to Airtran, eighteen hours after our anticipated landing and, within two hours of our New York arrival, K rushed The Rooster to the ER for the hot glue gun to the forehead treatment.

Yesterday, we spent HOURS on the tarmac and during that time we were able to entertain our children well.

However.

The Rooster screamed,

"BLANKIE!!! I WANT MY BLANKIE!!!"
the entire time we were actually flying.

At the end of the flight, a well manicured, high-glossed woman turned to me and, pointing a bony finger at Rooster, said,

"She's clearly not ready for your European vacation."

I turned my head away and said nothing because, though I tend to steer away from using THE C WORD, I was very sorely tempted to use it.

Hello?

It's simple Brady Bunch Wisdom, Lady.

If you don't have anything nice to say...

Shut yer effing pie hole.

[That's what Mr. Brady always said, right?]

Despite the horrifying bookends that were the start and end of the trip, the middle was very good.

Every other year, my mother-in-law treats us all to a family reunion at Silver Bay on Lake George in the Adirondacks.



Never mind that northern New York is having one of the wettest summers in history...



With oodles of Aunts, Uncles and, more importantly, cousins around...



The rain wasn't really an issue.

There were boat rides to be taken...


(And, in some cases, naps on boats to be taken.)

There were softball games to be played...


(Uncle Joe pitched in the Tigers vs. Ducks game!)


(Aunt Sheila took it very seriously.)


(The fans looked on appreciatively.)

There were arrows to be shot...







And celebrated...


Bullseye!
There was swimming to be done...



Shuffleboard to be... shuffled...



We were required to wrestle our relatives...






(This photo was taken right before Roo [2] took her cousin John [7] down.)
(This was not her first attack.)

There were funny faces to be made...





Ice cream to be eaten...



And flower beds to be trampled...



But now we are home.

And can you guess the first thing I did?

I stood in a nest of fire ants!

[INVOKE THE C WORD REPEATEDLY!!!]

[SPRINKLE IN ADDITIONAL CHOICE EXPLETIVES!!!]

The effing joys, I tell you!



39 comments:

Backpacking Dad said...

I didn't think it could happen, but now I miss upstate New York.

Annie said...

Great memories!

My rule for flying with kids is to never make eye contact with anyone not themselves flying with kids - they just don't understand and I ain't gonna be the one to explain anything to 'em.

Ouch to the ants, too!

LadyBugCrossing said...

Looks like a great time - even with airline torture at both ends. At least you didn't drive 12 hours both ways like we did... never again! I'm too old for that.

Amy @ Milk Breath and Margaritas said...

I've been reading in Reader and not commenting for a long time now, and for that I apologize. But ya got me here with this post! SO cute. What a great time. My husband's family should do this, but OH THE WHATEVER -- I can't even think of a word for it.

Mayor looks JUST like his dad, and Roo looks like a little miniature you with your husband sprinkled lightly on for flavor.

Very very cute - both of them!

Erin said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time! Great pics!

Patience said...

Oooh! Great pics!! Take me with you next time!!!

Kyla said...

AIRTRAN! That's why I slept in Atlanta instead of going to D.C. for my speech. Effing Airtran.

Looks like fun, though, J. Lots of fun.

Grim Reality Girl said...

Welcome home & sorry about the ants!
Worry not about the evil airplane lady -- karma is a bitch and she will get hers. The pictures look like so much fun.... I know I'm old and everything.... but will you adopt me? Even y our extended family appears to be FUN!

Biddy said...

i just love it when you post pictures of your adorable family!!

*sigh* stupid C WORD lady from the plane!

Mama Goose said...

Aren't the Adirondacks grand? Even in the rain.

I grew up about an hour north of Lake George. Beautiful.

Glad you had a nice vacation - despite the bookends.

Arwen said...

We just spent a week at a beach in Maine and watched 6 inches of rain come down in 6 days. We had a blast but didn't get a tan. Our planes were easy and now I am back to traveling again. I need to play and win the lottery...

zellmer said...

True, Mayor and Roo are both spitting images. We go to that part of the country this Friday. I'm so excited to get out of this Texas heat.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Looks like the trip was amazing. Welcome back.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Your vacation photos make me long for an extended family more than you know (I have no first cousins and my husband doesn't have any that aren't estranged from his uncle; sigh). Beautiful, happy shots.

And, I came THIS CLOSE to booking our flight to FL with AirTrans---so glad we didn't after reading this!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I love Lake George. It's so peaceful and fun. Reunion vacations like that will be great memories for your children. I wish my (boring) relatives would get together like that!!

Cece said...

Awesome pictures! Sounds like a great time!

flutter said...

what c word are we talkin here, cake?
Chrysanthemum? Cockle? Crappity doo dah?

Omaha Mama said...

Great pictures!
That looks like an excellent reunion, super glue and all.

carrie said...

What a perfect time you had . . . except the glue to the forehead (I'm no stranger to that) or the fire ants (luckily, I AM a stranger to those)! Yikes!

zyriana said...

Ewww, I think I flew with that lady once!

I tripped her.

It was an accident.

Really.

Honest and for true.

Humph.

Sounds like a blast!

justjuli said...

At first I though the airplane lady was making a poor attempt at a joke. But I guess not - by your reaction. In that case - how rude! She must have never raised children. :)

Great pics - I love summer vacations with lots of family and cousins around. We always did ours in Vermont on an annual camping trip with my Nana.

I also love that one of your relatives is training the next generation right - as a Red Sox fan!

Theresa said...

I've been to Silver Lake, did you make jewelry, I made a couple of silver rings last time I was there. It sounds like a wonderful time, except the flight, and the ants.

Anissa Mayhew said...

Luving the pictures of your grand get away!

Definitely looks like it was worth all the trauma.

Baby said...

Uh, yeah, what's up with the not so nice lady on the plane. People without kids on planes are not nice.

All Adither said...

Looks like good, summer fun.

Jenifer said...

That sounds like the most awesome time...I want to be adopted!

oliverallover said...

You take GREAT pictures! It looks like so much fun.

(sorry to hear abou tthe ants)

MAKNJ

Megan said...

You got me all pumped up for my first trip to NY(C)
And all scared for my first trip on an airplane with my terrible two.

jennster said...

all i know is that house, or whatever the fuck it is is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Karen (miscmum) said...

I am dying of jealously. On so many level, I won't even start...

Heather said...

What a lovely family! Wish mine had reunions like that. But all we'd do is sit around and stare at each other.

I also had a fire ant experience recently, but it was from picking up sod at Lowes. They didn't even remove it after I told them. I fully expect to testify at a negligent homicide trial when someone allergic decides to spruce up their lawn (yes, I watch too much Law and Order).

Magpie said...

Welcome home! That looks like it was a swell trip there in the northern woods.

Damselfly said...

You are so lucky to have such a nice big family.

Velma said...

All I can say is that the traveling? It gets soooo much easier. You will be the one smiling knowingly at the disruptive family soon. I know of whence (which?) I speak.

Ruth Dynamite said...

Looks like the perfect vacation! Love the photos - thanks for sharing.

Assertagirl said...

Looks like tons of fun! It's wonderful to have so much family to spend time with.

Deb said...

This is the kind of family I always wanted. It looks lovely, kids surrounded by cousins, aunts and uncles.

Your daughter looks so much like you, she's lovely, as is your son.

Gray Matter said...

Um, did those two boys move in front of the target before or after the arrow was shot? Just askin'

Missives From Suburbia said...

Despite the hot glue gun and the evil woman on the plane, that looks like a fabulous trip.

Airtran sucks. There's no other way to put it.

Aimee Greeblemonkey said...

oh my word, glue gun aside, the kid photos are KILLING ME! Soooooo cute. Especially the one of them all laying on the ground.