Monday, November 27, 2006

Will This Wind Be So Mighty...

Seventy two mile an hour winds and the mad dog sea frothing at the mouth and flinging itself furiously at the flimsy sliding glass door on the front of the swaying-in-the-wind beach house...

The walls vibrating, the television itself quaking in fear.


K and I accept our Darwin Award.


We'd like to thank the Academy.

Yes.

We spent the week in Nags Head, North Carolina on the Outer Banks.

A place that tried to blow away last week.

I had never even heard of a Nor'easter, but this is evidently what it is called when the winds from the North East use the fury of a tropical storm to try to blow your rental beach house to the ground.

Joy!

...and I thought I was the Queen of the Mighty Wind.

While the ocean,
wearing salt angry pajamas, hurled itself straight up out of it's bed and attacked, I just sat there wondering....

What am I doing here?

What kind of cotton-pickin' moron am I?

Are my children going to be swept away with a heap of coral colored, shell motifed beach house decorations and Jimmy Buffett paraphernalia?

[There was a great wringing of hands.]

[Okay, okay. There was a great FIGURATIVE wringing of hands. I was just lying on the couch thinking about how much I dislike Jimmy Buffett's music.]

Always quick on her feet and clear about just what to do, Rooster Girl, taking after Grandma Seattle, suited up in the perfect all weather outfit.

"Yoo-hoo, Sailor Man..."

28 comments:

jen said...

there you are. i missed you. i'd say glad you had a vacation - but um, well, not sure what exactly fits....except to say that pic is PERFECT.

welcome back.

queenbadmama said...

Nice to have you back! Funny, I have the same outfit as Rooster Girl, but, um, we won't talk about that here...

I'm glad your family didn't blow away!

S. said...

Well, at least you got a laugh. : )

Mamma said...

Rooster Girls a beauty!!

Yeah, the Outer Banks at this time of the year...always a crap shoot.

But it's so nice to get away.

Glad you're back!!

Christina_the_wench said...

Where can I get those dog mittens? I got a big night planned....

Sayre said...

I love coastal storms in the winter... so wild!

Love Rooster Girl's get-up. Where can I get one?

mothergoosemouse said...

A mighty wind's a'blowin'...it's blowin' you and me...

Okay, maybe just you. No blowin' happening around here.

Nor'easters rock. I love extreme weather.

kim said...

yeah jimmy buffet is highly overrated :)
but that daughter of yours is a cutie!! and i love the naked but warm look lol

Iris/Rissy said...

What a cutie-patootie!!! I am happy to see you back and posting. I missed your blog!!

Girl In Her Underwear said...

Yay! I'm glad you're back! But *gasps loudly* how could you not like Jimmy!?! He's the reason for all my tattoos! What kind of a world would it be if that kind of inspiration didn't exist???

wordgirl said...

You know? I can always count on your blog for a laugh. Today's came in a big explosion because this picture is priceless. When she's 16 it will be perfect blackmail material.

Michelle said...

That photo is TOO adorable!

Mel said...

HEY! Glad you're back. And LMAO!!! at that great shot of RG. Good one. I wish I had more cute shots like that of my girls.

Sarah said...

The tree is just on a piece of regular sized poster board. Just the right size for little ones. That is a hilarious picture!

wendy boucher said...

YOU DON'T LIKE JIMMY BUFFETT MUSIC? And here I thought that we could be friends. Hah, just kidding. I like some Jimmy classics now and then but living in Florida has pretty much cured me of any deep attachment. You can't eat out at a seafood restaurant without hearing some very poor imitator singing Margaritaville. Ugh. And tell Rooster Girl that I have the exact same outfit!

Domestic Goddess said...

*if you like pina colada's, and gettin caught in the rain*

(is that Jimmy Buffet? seemed fitting anyway)

Way cute near naked baby!

carmachu said...

Nice job there tex. I was in southern NJ in Septemeber when the hurricane roared through there.

We played "can the small child walk against the wind" its a fun game......

The Medium Swede said...

Rooster girl is too cute! I am glad you saw the incrimating photo. That is a holiday tradition as I prepare the turkey at the House of Medium Swede. I removed it as I had heard that my 16 year old niece checks my site on occasion.

I am thrilled that you were able to see it before I censored (sp?) myself.

Talk about Oh The Joys!

Moobs said...

Let's face ity, it must be hard to panic with that kind of cuteness happening.

Her Bad Mother said...

Can I just gurgle and ooooh at that picture? Cuz, um, OOOOH!

Tabba said...

Sorry about the yuck-o weather. However, maybe this absolutely gorgeous/funny/cute photo would not be if it were not for the mighty wind a-howling.
Welcome back!

urban-urchin said...

Rooster girl knows that you loose the most heat from you head, so why bother with the other stuff?

I am very happy you're back, and weren't washed out to sea.

hautemama said...

What an adorable muffadoodle!!!

Irene said...

heehee, this picture is priceless!

Kristin said...

Like Jackie O.,some women always look just right.

Betty said...

Glad you're back safe and sound. She's a beauty!

julia said...

What you have right there is her 16th birthday party invitation. Heh.

I'm glad you didn't get swept away, although not liking Jimmy Buffett...I dunno, that's just wrong.

Penny said...

omgosh! She is gorgeous and I LOVE the outfit!! All I could think of was Miss Universe Swimsuit girl. :)

What a smile! Love the curls, too!