Thursday, November 16, 2006

When Life is a Cabaret

Yesterday morning was grey and rainy and The Mayor was a little needy.

Though he greeted K with a chirpy "Good Morning, Daddy," when he saw me he scowled and said something like, "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh!"

I managed to bust him out of his supa-funk by teasing him about being a grumpy, old troll with a warty, warty nose.

L
ater, I stopped rushing around getting ready, sat him on my lap and sang him a made up I love you song involving the tickling of various body parts.

I... ear, ear, ear, ear LOVE YOU!
I... nose, nose, nose, nose LOVE YOU!

Lately I've been trying to remind myself that sometimes The Mayor and Rooster Girl are grumpy simply because I'm moving too fast and not spending enough time focused on them.

It seems to make a big difference when I slow down for a minute (or five or ten or eleven million) and give them all of my attention.


This seems to be especially true on work days. They spend most of the work day at daycare and I know they miss us.

The Mayor often complains, "I don't want to go to school. I want to stay with you."

[Can you hear my heart break?]

The Mayor and I have a daycare drop off routine involving ritualized kissing, hugging and waving that has been working well for us since July.

This morning, as I was getting ready to walk out of the glass door for the waving part of the routine, The Mayor yelled,

"Wait! First we have to DANCE!!"

Without warning the old, hit song "Turn the Beat Around" was playing full volume and the classroom walls were vibrating.

The Mayor and I joined hands and performed a spontaneous, Broadway worthy show stopper complete with booty shaking, turning in dizzy circles, waving-your-hands-in-the-air (waving-'em-like-you-just-don't-care), jumping up and down and singing along.

We broke a sweat with our 7:30 a.m. Gloria Estefan bust-a-move.

Spent at the song's end, I walked away waving wildly to The Mayor...

...and I haven't been able to stop smiling since.

If only life were like a Broadway musical.

If only we could break into song and everyone nearby knew all the lyrics and coordinated dance moves.

Life would just be better all the time.

29 comments:

Mrs. Chicken said...

We do A LOT of booty shaking here at CAC. Whenever and where ever we can. Like at Target.

Sounds like you have a smile in your heart!

Pendullum said...

Life is a cabaret ole chum!!!!

Two Knives said...

I just got a mothering boost from a speaker at a PTA meeting who reminded us to put ourselves in those little shoes -- what has their day been like? Did someone say something to hurt their feelings at school? I'm now trying to get in their shoes before I say, "just a minute," or "I'll talk to you in a second." At times I forget that I'm really here for them.

Sayre said...

I can see this whole episode in my mind... some days it's like looking in a mirror a few years down the road - looking back at where I've been.

We now have "torture songs" that burst out from time to time. He starts singing something that drives me crazy, so I sing something that drives him crazy. My husband thinks we're both nuts.

hautemama said...

LOL. One of the things I like to do (and it drives my BH batty sometimes) is break into a song when a hear trigger words...like "it's raining again"...perfect opp to sing Supertramp!

Waya said...

Yeah, I also feel that life is moving too fast for my kids' liking. If I would just slow down and just sit, one of them would plop into my lap and I can feel the love exuding from them.

Yeah, we love to dance at our house too. My 3 y/o has been asking to have the Nars Barkley's song "crazy" for like 25 times.

julia said...

Oh, for a video of that!


I started singing and dancing to the Blue's Clues song this morning. My daughter (almost 2) just looked at me in awe. "Mama knows Blue's Clues!"

Yes, well, when you hear it EIGHTY-SEVEN times a day, it does get embedded in the brain.

Lisa Goldstein/Kelly Kelly said...

That is such a cool story. I sometimes have a "dance party" with my son too when it's rainy/boring/grumpy over here. It really does lift the mood.

Lisa

Emma Kaufmann said...

Sigh, I know what you mean...I often burst into spontaneous song with my kids. If only my voice wasn't so bad.

S. said...

I can tell when K needs attention and it's difficult sometimes to slow down and completely focus on him.

I like what two knives said about thinking about what they're day was like. They need "reset" time too.

I love your made up song! I wish I was that spontaneous. Maybe that will come with time.

Iris/Rissy said...

awwwww, that is so sweet

But with my kids (teenager, teenager wannabe and daughter 7 going on 15) in my house it is more like

Life is a Cabernet - whine, whine and more whine.......oh, and WINE for the momma!

Domestic Goddess said...

and a one and a two . . .

Megan said...

This post got me all teary. I'm blaming the hormones, but it's been really hard the past couple weeks to leave the Cade-man at daycare. He's been a little clingy-er than usual, so maybe we're feeding off each other!

bubandpie said...

Oh, so true. And so hard to remember sometimes, how essential it is to stop and just enjoy our children. Thanks for the reminder.

Panda said...

Oh god yes, life should be a fully choreographed musical, like on that episode of Buffy where everyone started singing the entire show. That was GREAT.

Umm...yeh...

Look! Ninjas!

Thailand Gal said...

Your posts are so "joy-ful". Thank you. :)


Peace,


-Chani

Mrs. T said...

This post made me want to get up and squeeze my own children. Enjoy every booty-shakin minute, because you know some day the Mayor will either be embarrassed to dance or he will be embarrassed by you. Although we can hope he won't be.
Gotta Dance!

Momish said...

What a great story! We are dancing fools in our house and singing nuts, which is rather scary since none of us can carry a tune!

I know what you mean about having to stop and just put aside the time to play, and yes, dance. It is soooo true and I am guilty of running around madly and often forgetting that!

Natsthename said...

Yes, Wait! First we have to DANCE! ALWAYS. The dance makes it all worthwhile, don't you think?

Kevin Charnas said...

life WOULD be better ALL the time.


I think that we should get this underway immediately. When are rehearsals?

I tried to leave this comment hours ago, but blogger was having its way with me in a not fun way.

Amy Linder said...

I just love you! You sound so fun and funny and my type of person. You're posts always make me so happy.

Thanks for sharing your dancy/happy story. Yay!

Amy :)

urban-urchin said...

he'll demand john varvatos all the way.

I know exactly what you mean about stopping for the moments. I love that you would dance with the mayor at daycare. you rock.

jen said...

nice one, sister...we all probably need to slow down a bit and dance.

you are a good mum.

Girl In Her Underwear said...

How cute! I hope you're already asleep and will have an un-interrupted looooong night sleep! I'm sending you positive vibes for Rooster Girl to sleep late in the morning! :D Nighty night!

Kristin said...

I love you and the Mayor and, quite frankly, my whole life would be improved by a theme song.

Currently, it would be Bow Wow Wow', "I Want Candy".

Tabba said...

I was welling up with tears and chuckling to this all at the same time.
My kids love show tunes from 'Annie', 'Chicago' and 'Phantom'...and I'll tell ya...there is nothing like when they're totally turned on to it & willing to do those 'show stoppers'. And it is amazing how much better you feel after doing a 'routine'.
I'm smiling a big, huge smile because you and The Mayor today. Thank you for passing it on!!

Jamie said...

I love it. Tonight I was making a salad, shaking the crouton bag and singing "shake your booty" to my kids.

My 4-year-old has started the "Mommy I don't want to go to school" bit and it breaks my heart a little. Then when I pick her up at 5 she doesn't want to leave until she's finished coloring her picture. Sigh...

I clicked over here via Plain Jane Mom's blog. You're writing is hilarious!

edj said...

I have always said my life needs a better soundtrack...

Penny said...

I LOVE this story!! Sooo sweet!