Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sisters are Doing it for Themselves

Today I just want to crow about how excited I am about the woman Rooster acts like she will become.

When she was three weeks old, K said, "I know this is going to sound crazy, but Rooster seems so
athletic."

"Exactly!" I said.

How strange that our three week old seemed to be nothing but a little ball of muscle.


As she's grown, she's proven herself to be a fearless daredevil.

We vote her "family member most likely to jump out of airplanes, bungee jump (and break bones)."


She's determined, fearless and independent.

She is woman. (Okay, okay, thirteen month old girl.)

Hear her roar.


Here is a photo essay chronicling her independent mastery of the playground slide (or "SLY!" as she says) this past weekend.


Lacking a bit in the style department, Roo manages to hoist herself onto the stairs.

IMG_3492

Climb up.

IMG_3493

...and up...

IMG_3495

"Ha! Check me out! Am I not a supa-star?"

IMG_3497

Seeking thrills without the aid of my parents...

IMG_3505

Perfecting the slide botton stop.

IMG_3506

Climbing down myself, heading for the stairs to do it again...

IMG_3507

Cue music: "Can't Touch This"

IMG_3508

I am STRONG,

STRONG

I am INVINCIBLE,

INVINCIBLE

I am WOMAN,

WOMAN!

21 comments:

adrienne said...

cute cute cute cute cute!!! Hope my wee girl turns out like this!

Lisa Goldstein/Kelly Kelly said...

it is amazing how you can see SO MUCH about a person right from the start. It is mind blowing. I never would have believed it. I was always a nurture vs. nature person before having a kid.

Lisa

jen said...

it's amazing. she is perfection. that grin, that muscle...you are right, she is roaring.

ps. it was between krabi and ao nang..either of those would have had better lodging options, surely, if we hadn't been quite so dumb.

Deb said...

That little girl is amazing! She looks just like a little bitty you. Are you sure you weren't all that athletic as a child?

Momish said...

That is awesome, really! Power to her! Those photos are just too adorable! I'll take the broken bones over sitting on the sidelines anyday. Bones heal. I am glad Ruby will be a woman of my daughter's generation. May they roar till our eardrums burst.

S. said...

Too cute. I love the pic of her sliding down hands first. :)

Kristin said...

The tiny woman looks just like you!

Christina_the_wench said...

She is adorable! Mine are too old to cherish moments like this now that don't include fighting for the computer or using the phone. Can I rent her for a weekend??

carmachu said...

Awwww, how cute.

You are SO in trouble. One with action, one with the mouth....

Waya said...

She was so determined in those photos. So cute! And I'm there with you. My 3rd child, Sophia is a feisty one out of the bunch. She's more daring at 18 months old than my two older boys (6 & 3 y/o) combined. I'm so afraid for her, and so afraid for me b/c I can't handle any more trips to the ER!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Ruby!! Love Grandma Seattle

bubandpie said...

One of the really fun things I'm enjoying the second time through this mommy gig is the broader base of comparison - I know which traits are specific to my child and which ones are simply developmental norms common to all children (and that's something I really wondered about when Bub was a baby - how much of this personality is just BABY and how much is HIM? - and it turned out that the miserable parts were just baby, and everything else was him).

Ruby is awesome. My Pie would climb up to the top - and then turn around and climb back down again. A chicken like her mother (I'm so proud).

Eli's Mom said...

Supa-star indeed!!

blessedmomx3 said...

She is so brave!!! My children are very timid compared to Ruby!

BTW, if you don't hear from me much---for some reason my computer locks up when I get to your site and I usually have to end the program, etc. I don't know why! Very annoying! But I try to at least read up on the latest news. :)

Sarah said...

very cute! I like the last pic.

Karen said...

Great pictures. I (like many others) think Ruby looks a lot like you. What a cutie.

Mommy off the Record said...

How cute! I love how she's pumping her fists in victory in that last shot. She's fearless!

Sayre said...

Go, baby, go!

urban-urchin said...

You certainly have some damn cute kids. Ruby is a little spitfire- good for her!

Shannon said...

I am so bummed. I wrote this lovely (albeit bit long) comment last night and now I come back and it's not here. Durn. Anyway, Way to Go Ruby!!! (bravest baby in the world)

Kevin Charnas said...

HHAA!! Soo frickin' cute. See? Jason would be scared. Maybe even Freddy. And definitely that little asshole Chuckie.