Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Baboon Family Dines

It is completely astounding that our friends Elke and Michael invited us, the doofus gentiles, to join them for Sabbath dinner again.

When they invited us to share in their celebration of Passover we were forced to seek home remedies for
self-inflicted stab wounds.

When we recently invited them to share a meal with us K
wore a t-shirt covered in baby vomit.

Despite our inability to perform well, we adore this couple and their children.

We are honored every time we are asked to be included in their family traditions.

So when they graciously asked us to come to their Sabbath dinner last Friday, we
accepted.

Their Sabbath tradition includes singing a Sabbath song, lighting candles, saying prayers, sharing wine, touching the Challah and breaking bread together.


During the meal, everyone at the table talks about what they want to let go of or "lay down" for the week and what they want to "claim."

So there we were...

The candles were lit, the smoke of the flames curled gently upwards...

Elke, Michael and their children cupped their hands in front of their faces and their voices resonated with the prayer,

"Baruch atah Adonai Elohenu melech ha alom...."

At this exact moment, mid-prayer, The Mayor decided to participate.

HEY!

HEY!

GIT YER HANDS OUTTA YER FACE!!

HEY!


[repeat. many times.]
Sometimes I imagine that when we finally leave their house after a visit, they close the door, look knowingly at each other and roll their eyes.

Want to have us over?


23 comments:

Sayre said...

Any day... any day, girlfriend!

Christina_the_wench said...

LMAO, sure thing. Just leave your spittoon with the rest by the door and bring in the possum and put it on the counter!

mad muthas said...

oh i LUUUURVE the beverly hillbillies - i was only singing that song to the twins the other day - 'next thang ya know, ol' jeb's a millionaire ...'. well, you can imagine how that went down. you can come and eat with us any time. with luck, our manners might improve through contact with you lot ...
what was the lady at the bank called - mr drysdale's (?) secretary, who was sweet on jeb?
dja know, i've just been struck by a thought (ouch!), in a few years we're going to look like the clampetts! i look a lot like granny already ...

carmachu said...

Send him over! And you can come to, because as you have read on my blog, my daughter gets her wit from her father.....and all of you fit in just fine over here....


And if he gets out of line I'll just hold him upside down by his ankles, it works with sarah....

Waya said...

Yeehaw! Like I mentioned to you before, you can break "noodle" with us any time you're in Mass!!

Plain Jane Mom said...

HAHAHA! I guess on the up-side, no one needed home remedies this time...

Mona said...

That is too cute.

Diana said...

Come on over! My son would have climbed on the table and tried to pull their hands away since the didn't listen...
We would blend perfectly!

Mel said...

I would LOVE to have you guys over for dinner. LOVE it.
And btw, love your pic, but I still am deeply adoring of the "Southern Belle" shot you used to have.

Kristin said...

I love the concept of "laying things down"... I need to put that to work in my life.

You are all totally invited our house for dinner... Eva can yell, "POOP!" while Owen leads the prayer.

sweatpantsmom said...

Too funny. I'd say your kid has great comic timing. Hey- sort of like Granny on The Beverly Hillbillies!

Pendullum said...

Anytime baby...
You and your can break bread with us!!!!!
I'm Granma! Called it! I think I have her wardrobe on certain days...

jen said...

actually, yes. come on over.

carmachu said...

Hey I have to ask: does Owen also yell "git-r-done" as well?

Megan said...

I posted this comment on my blog, in response to yours, but it applies here, too!

It's not a contest, Joy!!! We can't pit ourselves against each other, instead must stand in solidarity, sister!
I'll send you my easy recipes if you want.. many of them make-ahead =)

Momish said...

If you came to my house, it would be your eyes a-rolling! Promise!

Anonymous said...

I love people with a big personality and Owen sure has one! Love and Kisses to Owen, amd to his Mom for telling the tales that bring such joy to my life. I laughed so hard -it was the best moment of my day. Love, Mom

Sandra Miller said...

The invitation is open :-)

Karen said...

LOL - I think you guys would be a blast to have over! What fantastic friends you must have - I am sure they don't mind all the craziness.

Kevin Charnas said...

Owen rocks.

And yes...you and your family are ALWAYS welcome in my home. ALWAYS.

Izzy said...

Dude...that story rocks! It's like a scene from "Parenthood" or "Cheaper by the Dozen"!

queen of wt said...

The Clampetts? We MUST BE RELATED! OMG! We have to be cousins are something. I feel your pain.

slackermommy said...

Come on over! You would fit right in!