Thursday, August 24, 2006

Special Band-Aids #4

I expect my children to play with my Special Band-Aids at some point when they are old enough to get things off of shelves and out of wrappers by themselves.

It would only be fair.

I remember lining up drinking glasses on my Granny's windowsill, each filled to a different level with water. I took my mother's box of tampons, unwrapped all of them and plunked one into each glass. When my mother caught me and asked what I was doing, I told her "science experiements." So if karma is real, I totally deserve to have my $43,000 (why do they cost so much?) piece of 'what comes around goes around' in the form of having my children mess with MY tampons in one way or another.

What I WASN'T expecting was what I overheard and saw tonight.

As I was putting Rooster Girl in her pajamas I overheard K talking to
The Mayor who was still in the tub:

The Mayor: Hey Dad, is that MY bag?

Kevin: No, that's Mommy's bag of Special Band-Aids.

The Mayor: Oh.

K: Check this out.

(Much quietness followed... Great concentrating, science experimenting-type quietness...)

K: Look what happens when you dunk it!

The Mayor: I want to try it!

When I came back in the bathroom,
The Mayor was standing up dunking and re-dunking the tampon in the tub like someone trying to rapidly steep tea. My husband was just as engaged in the project, his eyes followed the sopping wet, bobbing cotton as if he needed to 'follow the bouncing ball' in a video sing-a-long.

Oh, The Joys. Uh-huh.

17 comments:

Deb said...

That is way too funny! I never would have thought to call a tampon a "special band aide" but I guess that is exactly what it is!

Sayre said...

If I weren't holding my belly from all the cramping, I'd be holding it from laughing so hard!

slackermommy said...

My kids love playing with them too along with pantyliners. I like how you call them a "special band aide". I'll have to use that.

Lily said...

That's hysterical! Esp. the part where you're husband stood staring, as if it just struck him that THAT'S how it all works...

If I weren't sitting at my desk at work I'd by hooting with laughter.

Diana said...

too damn funny!

blessedmomx3 said...

Oh my gosh! I've never even thought about experimenting with feminine products! Unless you count the time I made a stick-on outfit for my Rubadub Dolly out of my sister's maxi-pads.

Gotta go. I've got some experimenting to do...

Christina said...

At least he isn't shunning them and going 'ewwwww' like most men do. lol Maybe he will one day be brave and buy them for his wife and not be embarrassed. Of course, he will call them "Special Band-Aids' instead of tampons, but that is neither here nor there.

Blonde Vigilante said...

Oh. My. God. That is too funny.

Blog Antagonist said...

Special band-aids! What a RIOT!

The only reason my boys haven't gotten into mine, I suppose, is because we have separate bathrooms.

Too funny.

Domestic Chicky said...

Hey, it could be useful someday to be able to make an informed decision about absorbency when he has a girlfriend with "special band aids" of her own...

*snort*

Lisa said...

Apparently with men? That never gets old. Nice to know my guys aren't the only ones who like to play with tampons. heehee

Sayre said...

Mine hasn't ventured into that experimentation arena. He, at 7, knows what they're for so he's not all that keen on playing with them. Plus he knows that if they're out where he can find them, Mom will be a bear if she runs out due to experimentation.

Kevin Charnas said...

*snort* :)

those sillies...at least Owen isn't trying to clean his ears with them!

Pendullum said...

Noooo......Oooooohhhh......
What next...Playing with Daddy's condoms as balloons???

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should check into using a Diva Cup. Cheaper in the long run and environmentally friendly.

GradeSchoolTeach

Pendullum said...

AND... I JUST read Kevin's comments...
Clean his ears with them??? Whaaaaatttt??????

Kevin, please say, you did not use your mother's tampons to clean our ears!!!!!!

carmachu said...

No matter how bad this seems, trust me when I tell you this, it can ALWAYS get far, far worse.....

I was a holy terror in embassing my mother in public when I was young. I cringe to think whats coming back around...

I can no longer go to the bathroom in public while I have sarah in tow. I get "daddy, is that your snake? I like you snake...." in public bathrooms...