Friday, August 25, 2006

Pillow Talk of the Middle Aged

My husband does public policy work on energy issues. Consequently, last night when we got into bed he wanted to tell me some complicated information about our state's gas tax laws.

He is my husband and I love him, so I dutifully said,

"Uh huh"

"Oh?"

"Mmmm, I see."

"Really?" and

"Wow honey" at all the appropriate times.

He then went on to tell me something about how the President had signed some law that made a tax break related to college saving plans permanent and this was a good thing... and something about the year 2010.

I know better than to have said, "Huh?" If I had, then he would have explained in GREAT DETAIL. Because he handles our finances in an unbelievably meticulous way - to the point where he schedules quarterly meetings with me so he can show me his power point presentation on the state of the household finances - I trust that whatever he was saying about the college savings plans was a good thing. Again I peppered the conversation with the affirmations mentioned above at all the right conversational intervals.

He finally ran himself out of things to say and there was a period of quiet.

I rolled over and told him I loved him, because I do, and then I kissed him.

This kissing caused a stirring that led to a great earthly vibration.

Crickets rubbed their wings together.

a  crickets


Dragonflies flitted gaily about.

a dragonfly

Hummingbirds hovered in mid-air.

a hummingbirds2

A flock of geese took off in flight.

a geese

A lone lute string sang out a high note.

a lute player

And a quarter sawn headboard made a squeaky noise I had never heard before.


When it was all over, he said,

"Wow. I'm going to have to talk about college savings accounts at bedtime more often."

To which I replied, "You had me at state gas tax."

20 comments:

Diana said...

OMG it's like Angelina and Nick Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds...
How romantical!

Pendullum said...

Oh Jessica...
What a taxing tale you weave...
Thanks for theinsights into your pillowtalk...
I thought I felt the earth move up here...
and now that phenomenon was explained...

mothergoosemouse said...

I'm grinning like a fool. Love that story.

melissa b. said...

That was fantastic, for me too anyway! I love that, "You had me at state gas tax."

And the lute player, ha!

carmachu said...

Very cute.

Blog Antagonist said...

LOL! That gave me a good chuckle. My husband does work that is way over my head. I do the same thing. I try to follow, I act interested, I make noncommital comments. I don't understand a word he says, usually. But he appreciates that I try. I can't say it has ever led to the earth moving though. ;?)

theresa said...

I thought we were having an earthquake over here! Very funny. I wish I was married.....ahhhhhhh.

wendy boucher said...

Hilarious. He sounds a bit like my Hubby. And thank you for stopping by to comment on my blog!

C said...

that's so silly it's funny.

Jen3 @ Amazing Triplets said...

Wow - that really does sound fascinating and erotic, in a very fiscal kind of way. I wonder if you could send Kevin's powerpoint presentation out this way? After a day with 3-22 month olds, the only nature sound I typically hear is heavy snoring.

Thanks for dropping by! :)

Kevin Charnas said...

:) i wondered what all that racket was...and yeah, definitely, state gas tax does it for me EVERY TIME, BABY!!! AAAHHHH YEAHHH...

however, i did think that you were going to say he blew a big fart when you kissed him.

floosen said...

I'd take that kind of quality over quantity any time!

Sayre said...

Your blog has now become a topic of conversation between me and my mother. I turned her on to you and you absolutely crack her up! She actually called me yesterday after reading this particular one and told me that you had a wonderfully full and imaginative brain.

I have to agree. Whenever anyone asks me if I visit other blogs, I always mention you and Alice-in-Wonderbread.

PS - we don't feel earthquakes in Florida - too much limestone to absorb it. You, however, have a giant granite rock.

Natsthename said...

It is a good thing that young children know not the meaning of the squeaky headboard sound!

emma said...

Your husband sounds sweet. Bless him for still trying to explain all the financial stuff to you. My husband and I are fairly disinterested in each other's lives, i.e. he doesn't read my blog, I don't ask him about his work as a computer programmer. It works for us. Keeps the marriage fresh to have a bit of mystery!

lildb said...

hee. you made me giggle.

(well, and blush, if I may confess. I'm such a prude.)

Deb said...

I love that story, very cute and good for you!

Laundry Woman said...

Super Hot!

Waya said...

I can't believe I haven't found your blog until now!! This was hilarious!! I was cracking up at the "quarterly finance meeting", b/c my hubbie also does the finances but he hasn't scheduled any "meetings" yet thank goodness.

hautemama said...

That is f*$%#ing halarious! Sounds like my hubby...