Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Oh, The Joys of First Birthdays

Rooster Girl, my wee baby, my young daughter, my second child, turned one today.

We had a pool party for her over the weekend and while we remembered to bring the camera, we neglected to bring the memory card for the camera. So alas, there are no photos of her in her swim suit and tiara covered in chocolate icing and cupcake. She was a sight to behold.

I tried not to be upset with myself. Afterall, I figured her real birthday was still a few days away and I could celebrate again.

I failed to remember that her one year check up at the pediatrician was scheduled for this morning. She had two vaccinations, a finger prick and, as it turns out, she also has an ear infection that we didn't know about. Happy Birthday, here are your antibiotics.

We are such pathetic parents.

Rooster Girl has been 'inexplicably' crying in the middle of the night for the past few nights. We the parental geniouses have mostly been puzzled (and annoyed) by it.

Of course it never OCCUR
RED to us that it could be an ear infection despite the fact that our older son had 400 ear infections and surgery to get ear tubes.

Oh, yes. We are paying close attention to what we are doing over here. You want US to babysit your child.

I also failed to understand that re-creating a birthday tiara wearing moment is an insult to a one year old who is suffering from a
mild vaccination fever, thigh soreness from shots and ear ache pain.

Tiarra-less, ailing one year old child.

And how about this... alarmingly stupid parents (like us) sometimes put the birthday candle way too close to the baby. She reached for it, K grabbed it out of the way... but she WAILED and WAILED. I think she might have felt the heat. We held her hand under cold water, got her an icey boo boo bunny thing and filled our hearts with anxiety and guilt.

Then we
went back to trying to get the damned tiarra on her.

She was really happy about that.

"What is WRONG with you people?"

Because we were really heaping on the JOY here tonight, our son decided to let us know how he felt about the fact that he couldn't have more than one cupcake.

Vexed young lad.

As usual, here at the House of Joy, our joy knows no bounds and the joys keep mounting up.

Still, I think Roo should be properly honored, so I am going to take a moment to chronicle her year and I hope it will be a more fitting tribute to her first year than the pathetic celebration we attempted here tonight.

August 28, 2005
The day before Rooster Girl was born Kevin threw a mendhi party for me. He hired a mendhi artist and invited a bunch of my friends and this was the result.

Rooster within!

August 29, 2006
Rooster Girl was born at 3:00 in the afternoon while rain sheeted down the hospital windows and CNN began to show alarming damage along the Gulf Coast.

I was convinced she was going to be a boy. When they pulled her out of my body, put her on my belly and told me she was a girl I sobbed and laughed in disbelief.

When
The Mayor, my first born, arrived he looked exactly like K and his family. He was unfamiliar to me. Rooster was different. I recognized her. I saw my parents, my brother, my grandparents, my aunts and uncles and myself in her face.

She was quiet as the nurses tended to her. She didn't make a sound, just studied the room in what we would learn was her serious way.

35 with mom

October 16, 2006
Roo is six weeks old.

102 raton linda


November 1, 2005
Roo is two months old. She is alert . She is loved.

109 Ruby the Cute




First Thanksgiving, 2006
Four Generations.

Four Generations


December 26, 2006
Roo cleans up at Christmas time.

176 bw


January 1, 2006
Roo is a nudie New Year's Baby.
(These photos cost me a huge load of bed linen laundry.)

200 copy


207 copy

January 4, 2006
Roois four months old. She is patient with us.

217 Artist


February 11, 2006
Roo is five months old. She thinks she is Marlon Brando.

226 Brando

February 27, 2006
Roo is almost six months old.
She can sit up and she takes her first bath in the tub.
Thus begins the endless pooing in the tub.


267 First Tub Solo close up


March 4, 2006
Roo thinks she is the heavy weight champion of the world.

281 Triumph


March 5, 2006
Roo Bounces!

283 Bouncer


March 15, 2006
Six months...it's Sweet Potato time!

320 Wipe Me


April 4, 2006
Roo is seven months old.
Grandma Seattle visits.
That is reason to be VERY girly.


April 15, 2006
Roo just filed her taxes.

Soon she'll crawl


April 22, 2006
Roo is almost eight months old.
She thinks she is Don King.

429 Don King


May 19, 2006
Roo is almost nine months old.
She takes her first trip to the beach.
This is both good and bad.


May 27, 2006
Roo is nine months old.
She visits Washington, D.C. in a pretty blue dress.

Blue Bell

June 3, 2006
Oh. My. God.
It's like looking in the mirror.

Recognition


June 25, 2006

Roo is ten months old.
She can stand and squat, but can't walk yet.

546


July 24, 2006
Roo is eleven months old.
She loves to play ball.
She hates books.


IMG_2460


August 21, 2006
Roo will be one in eight days.
She has six teeth.


IMG_3018


August 29, 2006
You are a blessing in my life.
I'm sorry your birthday was tear filled.
I love you, I love you, I love you.

Clinging On

19 comments:

slackermommy said...

What a beauty! I love the looking in the mirror one.

Heather said...

She is absolutely beautiful! I cannot wait to have my own!

Christina_the_wench said...

Absolutely a doll! Happy Birthday!

Lisa said...

I love the photos. She does look like you. What a cutie. Isn't that just the picture of childhood? cupcakes and tears within minutes of each other. You are wonderful parents. She looks loved, adored, happy and showered with joy in all those photos. vaccines hurt, but think of the altnerative of getting polio or something. A pretty good gift if you ask me.


Lisa

Sayre said...

You tried. It's all you can do. And when Ruby walks down the aisle at graduation or for her wedding, you will know that you tried your best. It was all you could do. And I'm betting that everything will turn out just fine.

Ruby is a gorgeous child - I loved the pictures! I wish I had been organized enough to chronicle my son's first year, but I am kind of hopeless like that. There are lots of pictures though. Just have to figure out what was taken when.

Next year? Shots the day after!

Diana said...

She is beautiful.
Loving the year in photos.
And if it makes you feel better, I only remember my son's appointments because the office calls the day before to confirm. Them I have to scramble to get out of work and get him there on time...

Plain Jane Mom said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! Here's to another great year, and ahem, maybe a different outcome for your next party... ;)

lildb said...

damn sam. what a pair of gems, those eyes. Ruby, indeed. (maybe it should've been sapphire?)

happy/sad first birthday, dolly babe.

happy birth day, Momma Joy.

xoxo

theresa said...

Happy Birthday....absolutely adorable

Mama C said...

Happy Birthday, pretty girl. You're adorable. I hope you feel better soon! Go throw up all that cupcake on Mommy as punishment for not having the camera right at your party.

Izzy said...

Happy 1st Birthday to Ruby!

The pictures are so adorable but the birthday recap made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry. Am I a bad person?

blessedmomx3 said...

That was AWESOME!!! She is so beautiful! And I loved that belly artwork. That really was beautiful--and even more reason for me not to show my skanky tatts.

I laughed and laughed. That all sounds like stuff we would do! Alex almost grabbed his candle at his first birthday, too! We're so smart!

Laundry Woman said...

oHMG!! I used to have that same exact quilt!!

Really, though, she is gorgeous. I'm a little jealous!!

julia said...

What a cutie! I laughed at the party recap, too....

Kevin Charnas said...

those pics are fantastic! i love them...it's a good distraction for us, seeing how YOU FORGOT THE MEMORY CARD FOR THE CAMERA WITH HER IN HER BATHING SUIT COVERED IN CHOCOLATE, but i'm not going to mention that...

love these pics. and i'm at work right now, the monitor is kind of dark...is that YOUR BELLY??? I've got to check this out when I get home tonight.

and Jessica? You and Kevin make BEAUTIFUL children.

Waya said...

Happy belated b-day Ruby!! You are adorable and this is better than any "baby book" your Mama can ever buy! You are truly blessed to have a great Mommy/Daddy to capture all these precious moments for safekeeping.

This was a great idea!

Jennifer said...

She's gorgeous! (Happy Birthday Ruby!)

Suz said...

oh! Thank you for sharing these pics, she's so redonkulously cute! Cheers Ruby, Happy Birthday!

Therese said...

Jessica, thanks for the first year in Ruby review. She does look just like you and I am going to be the one to teach her all your bad habits. It's just payback for every bad thing you taught my dog. Sooo good to talk to you. xoxoxox, Therese