Monday, August 07, 2006

Family Vacation

I am returned! I spent a week at my husband's family reunion on Lake George in New York. It looked like this:

Silver Bay 3
There was canoeing --
54 Canoe Boat


55 Canoe Boat


155

There was tennis playing --

35 Ruby kk


62 The Mayor kk

There was popsicle eating --

40 I LOVE Popsicles! kk

There were lots of Aunts and Uncles to help you put your shoes on --

129 Shoes On

-- or carry you anywhere you wanted to go --

119

There was flinging in the air --

124

There was tickling --

121

80 kk

There was wanting to be held all the time, but not by anyone else but Mama and Dada --

48 Save Me kk

Or maybe Uncle Joe --

KK - Only Joe can hold me

And maybe the holding of Grandma's hand... but only for a second --

67 I Do Love Grandma kk

There were gazillions of cousins to play with --

93 kk

I totally underestimated the whole perpetual playdate aspect of extended family vacations. Also, the way that sometimes you would end up without children at all as they ran off with Aunts and Uncles (though sometimes you ended up with them all as counter balance!)

The Mayor was completely out of his mind and overstimulated. I don't think I've ever seen him so excited. His own commentary on the vacation was, "I'm a hard workin' man, Daddy." His Aunt Sheila nicknamed him "The Mayor" for his gregarious glad handing ways.

I am happy to report, and I know NO ONE will be surprised, that my neice
s and nephews reported to the Aunts and Uncles that,"Aunt Jessica is the MOST like a kid and the LEAST like a grown up." When asked why, they told everyone that, "Aunt Jess likes to talk about butts and stuff." Uncle Nat confided in me that he thought maybe he should talk about butts more. Uncle Joe asked me if I was responsible for the children's obsession with taking photographs of everyone's butts.

Oh, definitely. Yup. That was me.


And here's a photo of me taken by my niece Claire...



27 comments:

Christina_the_wench said...

OMG..lmao. Excellent all around, post, photos, Claire's perception of Auntie. Too funny!

Nikki said...

Welcome back!

I'm so glad you had a great time.

The pictures are wonderful, just wonderful.

Thanks for putting those up.

Sayre said...

Welcome home, Jessica! You were sorely missed. But as tough as it was for us, I'm glad you had a great family vacation.

You're lucky you can do that. When I was little, we did that, but I think that for our family, this tradition died with my generation. We just don't have that many kids and everyone's schedules are truly wacky.

Sigh. I miss those days!

Heather said...

Welcome back! We missed you! It looks like you had a really lovely time, and you have quite the nice tush!

Blonde Vigilante said...

You have a sweet sweet ass.

liberalbanana said...

Love the a$$ shot! Kids are adorable! Why didn't Bloglines tell me you'd updated?

I came over here to let you know that the instructions on how to change the wording of "Comments" and then change it's plurality (is that a word?) are in my sidebar now!

Diana said...

Oh that looked like such a fun time!
Welcome back, now we get to hear more stories about butts-n-stuff!

carmachu said...

Welcome back. Lake George is only 3 hours from me, and I've been tehre from time to time. Its very nice up there.

Looks like you had fun!

melissa b. said...

welcome home! And? Work that ass!

You sound like the most fun Auntie ever, what with the butts and stuff. And it is weird to realize that with a bunch of other kids around the perpetual playdate is really, really nice.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

They are so gonna give you grief as a gang of teenagers. 'course you'll be half in the bag partying with the aunties & uncles that you won't really care (!)

Glad you had a good time.

ICL

Nikki said...

In otherness - what do you mean you read my entries on you "reader"

What am I missing?

gingajoy said...

talkin' about butts and stuff--rare praise indeed!

welcome back, and nice be-hind, btw;-)

Lisa Goldstein/Kelly Kelly said...

Welcome back! Looks really fun. Your kids are so cute, and nice butt!

And dude, you left me with that song on my head for-evah. couldn't stop singing the mexican radio, whoa oh, song. Oh no, it's starting again. Oh noooooo.

Lisa

Kevin Charnas said...

YOU like to talk about butts??? NAAaahhh... HA! Thrilled that you had a great time and that you're back. LOVE the pics!
and you were missed. :)

Marcie said...

You got some cute babies there!
And what a nice butt shot.

deanabeana said...

I figured it out. Glad you stayed and had a fabulous time. What is this obbsession with butts that you have? Don't know anything about that. all I can say is bifurcate.

Mama C said...

I hear you! That's my favorite part of family vacation. Unfortunately, my sister and brother have not jumped on the kid-having bandwagon. Only one cousin for the boys to play with. And she's a GIRL! It is nice to, um, share the kids with the other adults. On my last family gathering, I got to leave and get my hair done. Wow!

Natsthename said...

Great shots! But tell Claire she has to back up a bit! ;)

What a bunch of fun you had!

kim said...

it looks like a fantastic time! your kids are adorable too :)
welcome back

lildb said...

those pictures are FABULOUS. I love the popsicle one. it's awesome.

jali said...

Looks like a great vacation. It's great to be the "hip auntie". (even better to be the hip auntie with the nice butt)

floosen said...

O is SO K's mini-me!!!!!! Did everone freak out? Missed you!

Mel said...

Oh, man. I love the nearly-identical looks Ruby and her uncle are giving the camera. Awesome.
And it wouldn't be a good homecoming post from you without a butt in it somewhere!

chicaloungin said...

My sister's kids enjoyed "changing my adult diaper" at my 38th birthday party... they also can't believe when they chase me with their boogers, I will chase them right back.

Great vacation shots. It makes me long for those younger days with all my cousins... teaching them the f-word.

Domestic Chicky said...

Great pics mama, and fantastic ass shot. I'm proud of my "bad influence" status too...

mad muthas said...

that looks like a luverly holiday!

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi! I chanced upon your blog and just wanted to say hi. These are lovely vacation pictures.