Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Anomaly

On Sunday night I got a pass from my husband and went over to my friend Jill's house. I didn't read the invitation closely so all I knew was that it was a girls night out thing and that the amazing singer songwriter, Caroline Herring, was going to perform. That was all I needed to get me there. I didn't realize that there was more to it...

Jill is a Presbyterian minister and a convener / organizer of an interfaith group of 180 women of who gather in small groups to discuss faith, feminism and philanthropy. In addition to gathering to hear Caroline sing, about 30 women from this group had come together to meet Suehyla El-Attar, a playright with an acclaimed new play called The Perfect Prayer. She and the lead actor from a recent production were at Jill's talking to the group and taking questions. On top of that, many of the women at Jill's had just been to see the film, Water, by Deepa Mehta (an amazing and intense film I can hardly recover from...) and were discussing that too. Jill's house was filled with powerful women, most of whom Jill told me, she had never met before.

I met interesting people, had interesting conversations and listened to the beautiful music of Caroline Herring. At the end, I felt fed in a way that I haven't felt in a long time. I've been so focused on the daily tasks of mothering two small people, that I haven't really had any time to follow my own interests. It felt, well frankly, fantastic. I started thinking that maybe I should find the time (from where I don't know) to get out more, learn more... generally make sure that I still do at least a few things that are just for me.

I was meditating on this as I gave Rooster Girl a bottle before her bedtime last night. Despite the fact that she held her bottle on her own for the first time yesterday, she refused to do it at bedtime because she needed her hands free to relentlessly see how far up my nostril she could stuff her pointer finger. After she finished her bottle, she BELCHED like
Barney Gumble of the Simpsons and began to roll around the bed and across my lap laughing and grabbing at me.

Yeah, personal enrichment... like that will happen any time soon. Maybe next year.

UPDATED: Of course I don't mean to imply that parenting is NOT personally enriching. It IS of course. (The rolling around laughing part more than the nostril part obviously.) I'm just not used to having ONE SINGLE SOURCE is all...



6 comments:

Nikki said...

Doesn't it just kill you when they try to pick your nose! That had me laughing out loud!

Mel said...

I might be being dense this morning since I've had two (2!) sips of coffee today, but was your last sentence irony?
I think it was, even if unintentionally so.
But I bet you meant to. I'm shutting up now before I babble even more.

floosen said...

I just finished "Dispatches from a Not So Perfect Life (or How I Learned to Love the Man, the Child, the House)". It was great, and covered a lot of the feelings of disconnectedness from other women that new moms feel...that feeling of being fed and basking in the presence of powerful, soul-ful women. I miss that so deeply it brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. Why do we lose that opportunity for ourselves when we so dearly need it? Make that time for yourself, Jess. The world needs your brain on subjects like faith, feminism, and philanthropy. The power you give is needed too, by other women walking a similar path. Love to you.

theresa said...

Too funny. My babies are older now and only now and I able to find personal enrichment....now if I could only find a way to get them out of the house.....

Your Aunt Nancy said...

It is a passage. You are a strong and powerful woman when all(?) you are doing is laughing with Ruby on the bed. There is a time to every season, but when you are in the dog days of summer, you certainly long for the crisp days of autumn. Just don't wish your present moments away.

Blue Fairy said...

what floosen said.